You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting "A required privilege is not held by the client" message on installation.

When I update Photo and Publisher, once the installation has completed I get a warning message that says "A required privilege is not held by the client." (although Designer installs without incident).

The apps of course don't then open like the successful Designer installation does, but the new installations do open successfully when started manually and appear to function.

I'm reporting it now after just installing version 2.1.0 of the apps, but I've been getting the messages ever since the first installation of version 2.0, originally Installed from the start using the MSIX file and subsequently updated from the in-app prompt at start-up.

I'm on Windows 10.

image.png.ff0147ba570a4b585ba8e44bf4bee789.png

image.png.3722d47eec0b8e5772e1620448cc0a89.png

• Staff

Hi @Jimo,

I've seen this happen with another app before and repairing the app resolved the issue, so that would be the first thing to try.  However, to test if it worked, you'd need to install the 2.0.4 version and then try updating it.  You can download the 2.0.4 build from this link and once that's installed, you can do the reset by following the steps below:

1-Click on Start then click on Settings
2-Click on Apps
3-Search for Affinity Photo (or Publisher) and click on that
4-Click on the advanced option
5-Scroll down and click on Repair then click on Reset

Thanks for that @stokerg,

For now, as everything seems to be working despite the warning message (at least as far as I can tell), I've gone through the repair process for the latest installation and I will see if that fixes the issue on the next update when it arrives. If it doesn't, I will report back in this thread.