You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto Develop Persona White Balance Picker is missing gestures/modifier keys

Hi,

I’m trying to pick a white balance area in the develop persona within Affinity Photo on the iPad. When using an external keyboard, the shortcuts SHIFT (for selecting an average out of several points) and ALT (for selecting a rectangular area) work as expected. However, there is no way to use these modifier keys without an external keyboard.

Either the modifier shortcut via 2/3/4 fingers is missing here (it works when drawing shapes on the canvas in the general persona) or the modifier keys “wheel” as present in Affinity Designer should be available.

This is a rather annoying bug/missing feature for developing RAW images on the iPad as I use it on every photo to get an average white balance. Or maybe I’m missing something obvious here..

Cheers, Chris

1 hour ago, captain13chris said:

However, there is no way to use these modifier keys without an external keyboard

The Command Controller should handle that, shouldn't it? 

https://affinity.help/photo2ipad/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/wheel.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Command Controller should handle that, shouldn't it? 

https://affinity.help/photo2ipad/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/wheel.html

Yes it should. However there is no way to activate it within the develop persona as the document menu is not available there… That seems to be an oversight by the developers. The Assistent settings for example aren’t available either.

My problem is that I am opening a RAW file from the main menu by importing it from photos. Thus, the document menu is only available to me after I’ve developed the image. I found a workaround however: Open a new empty document and activate the command controller in there. After that, it is available in the develop persona in any newly opened RAW file as well.

3 hours ago, captain13chris said:

Open a new empty document and activate the command controller in there. After that, it is available in the develop persona in any newly opened RAW file as well.

Yes, that's one way.

Another, if you use the Serif Labs RAW engine rather than the Apple engine: Develop to a RAW embedded or linked layer, rather than a pixel layer. Accept the current state of the RAW image and return to the Photo Persona. Toggle the Command Controller on, and then return to the Develop Persona.

3 hours ago, captain13chris said:

The Assistent settings for example aren’t available either.

You can set those from the Home Screen, before Opening the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Another, if you use the Serif Labs RAW engine rather than the Apple engine: Develop to a RAW embedded or linked layer, rather than a pixel layer. Accept the current state of the RAW image and return to the Photo Persona. Toggle the Command Controller on, and then return to the Develop Persona.

Good suggestion, however it’s again just a workaround around a missing feature.

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can set those from the Home Screen, before Opening the file.

True, thanks for the tip!