Sign in to follow this  
NinoVSoriano

How to remove a section from two attached objects to create a new shape.

Back before i downloaded Affinity and when i used Adobe Illustrator i often combined more than one shape to create other curves and shape that the curving tools couldn't do. Seeing the picture below, how would you remove the upper corners of the rectangle so that they would curve with the circle?

What i am trying to do is remove the two corners and then move the donut upwards to create a bend and then eventually make the donut and the rectangles one shape so that it makes it look like a lower case "n"

One picture is my current progress in Affinity and the other picture was what i need. The second picture was done in Adobe illustrator. 

post-27821-0-70209500-1456870415_thumb.png

post-27821-0-24759600-1456870419_thumb.png

Hi.

You make your rectangles.

Then when you make your donuts, you can alter the stop and start angles in the context toolbar.

You can use the corner tool to round the corners of the rectangles.

Then you can go Layer>create a compound and you have your "N" shape. -Or just group the layers.

- Affinity Photo 1.6.7

- Affinity Designer 1.6.1

MacBook Pro 8 GB
MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.2

I'm definitely no expert.  But I had some good success using the boolean operators,

specifically divide.

The only caveat is you have to be very careful about the exact placements of the overlapping objects. 

Once I made sure I had the resulting shapes I needed.  I selected all applicable parts, divided them, and then manipulated them

however I wanted.

One example I took the parts I wanted, and used the boolean add, to make an overall desired shape.

There are several options to this, depending on what you want your end product to be able to do, or be a part of.  

But it is something to consider.

post-12258-0-85450900-1456904340_thumb.png

This is what I ended up with. ;)

However, I made the donut shapes first. 

post-14034-0-32814400-1456907342_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 1.6.7

- Affinity Designer 1.6.1

MacBook Pro 8 GB
MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.2