You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D Spaces (perspective)

Hi guys,

I just wonder if there's any possibility to create a effect of specific 3D perspective. I mean, it would be nice to draw something in usual 2D and then transform it to look like it's a part of 3d space with all 3d distortions that come from a perspective. I know the tutorial with grids and meshes in AD but it isn't effect I'm looking for. I mean, if I set the grid, the angles are still the same (like 90 and 45 degrees) no matter what's the relation between an object and specific point in the space.

I'm not sure if I put it clear, so please take a look at attached examples. Is there any tool in AP/AD (usual versions, not the 2 yet) to do that?

PROJEQT_stacks.webp

Hi @ZRODLOSLOW13 and welcome.

In Affinity Photo or Pixel Persona in Affinity Designer use the Perspective Live Filter Layer.

Layer -> New Live Filter layer -> Distort -> Perspective

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 weeks later...

@Komatös- is there any way to do it in Affinity Designer? I checked your solution in Photo, and it worked pretty much wonderful (although I'd appreciate the possibility to input numbers instead of changing settings of grid manually), but in AD there's no "Live Filter Layer". So, did you mean that I need to do that in Photo and export distorted layer(s) to Designer?

33 minutes ago, ZRODLOSLOW13 said:

but in AD there's no "Live Filter Layer"

You would need the latest ADe V2 here which now supports vector & pixel based perpective distortions. ADe v1 did't had support for any of those!

33 minutes ago, ZRODLOSLOW13 said:

So, did you mean that I need to do that in Photo and export distorted layer(s) to Designer?

That's one way to do it for V1 apps, aka performing the perspective distortion in APh v1 and taking that over into ADe v1.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

In Affinity Designer there is the so called Pixel Persona image.png.9f433ac54ccf71561298f181c1f6b240.png. If you click on the icon you'll see the "New Live Filter Layer" under the layer menu entry.

However, the deformation can only be done by hand. Affinity Designer is not a CAD program.

Ok, I had overlooked that you use V1. As @v_kyr wrote, V1 does not have this feature yet.

Edited by Komatös

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

For ADe v1 there is/was a flumsy workaround of reusing the APh v1 perspective distortion, see for example here ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2