You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Program freezes, becomes unresponsive requiring force quit from simply clicking outside a text frame

I'm not sure if this is related or not to the other extremely severe bug that completely prevents me from being able to use Version 2 of Designer for any serious work. ( https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/174724-affinity-designer-v2-getting-really-slow-and-laggy-after-some-time/ )

Here is the bug: I am typing text in a text frame, I stop typing, I click something outside the text frame.

That's it. That's all it takes to crash this program (4 times just today).  Doing this absurdly simple and common action has about a 10% chance of bringing my copy of Affinity Publisher 2 to its knees. The program completely locks up and becomes unresponsive. You can't click on anything, although strangely pressing Alt-F4 does bring up the dialog asking if I want to save my work before closing the program. But of course, there is no saving or closing, because the window you see will not respond to any clicks. One must force quit with Ctrl Alt Del every time. Happens when I have a bunch of other programs open, and it happens when I only have AP open. It seems to only happen when I have snapping enabled.

My machine is Amd ryzen 5 3600, 32 gb of ram and plenty of it available for Affinity, plenty of space on my nvme SSD. The problem happens no matter what renderer I'm using.

What does the testing process for Windows builds look like at Affinity? Its baffling that software like this can make it out the door. This is the first time in my 36 years of life that I have paid money for software and have been utterly unable to use it purely because of stability problems. Version 1 of everything is still working fantastically for me on the exact same machine. And I bought all of the version 1 software on windows within weeks of its original release and never had problems even remotely this severe with any of it. What happened?

• Staff

Hi @diopside,

It sounds like you're experiencing a known issue which is currently logged with the developers. If you have either an Artistic or Frame text layer selected which has contents and you Shift + Click twice on any blank area on the canvas this will cause the app screen to completely lock up. This is logged as a priority issue so hopefully we'll see a resolution soon, I've also bumped it with your report.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "App freezes when shift+click twice in a blank space with Art text or frame selected. " (REF: AFB-6977) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.