You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Type file format problems?

Hi @ macfloer.

The author of the font may have restricted its use and redistribution.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

17 hours ago, macfloer said:

What can be the reason?

At least if you have any fonts originally embedded in placed EPS files, they will be converted to curves (already when placed). Some effects applied to text might also do it, e.g. using a gradient or bitmap fill within text (text format is retained until you export to PDF). More often, though, you would experience adjustments and effects in context of text resulting in rasterization rather than auto-conversion to outlines. Can you post an example, or a screenshot showing the contents of the Layers panel, as a reference? 

18 minutes ago, macfloer said:

Here are two Screenshots of the fonts usewd in the document and what happens after converting in PDF

Thanks. These screenshots however do not reveal anything about the document structure and possible reasons why part of the fonts have not been embedded (but converted to curves). Can you include a screenshot showing the canvas and the Layers panel (at least so that text layers converted would be visible, and expanded, to reveal if they have some effects or adjustments applied to)?

Thanks. Basically yes. There does not seem to be anything specific in the composition that could cause conversion of text to curves. The only thing that comes to mind is that since the document appears to be originally an InDesign created publication, most of the fonts probably having been activated with Adobe Fonts, I would try if reactivating the fonts on CC could resolve the issue, as sometimes reactivation is needed to make fonts properly available with non-Adobe software.  

UPDATE: In addition, a couple of fonts, Times and Zapf Dingbats, might actually be old Type 1 PostScript fonts, which Affinity apps support only partially (and current ID versions probably not at all), so there is a chance that this explains some of the issues you have experienced with this document.

Since Interstate (total of 44 styles) and Calibri (6 styles) are both fonts that can be activated with Adobe Fonts, I would try reactivation (= deactivate and activate again) of these fonts, and for other missing ones, that they are physically installed on your computer where you have Affinity Publisher installed.

I thought that your source was an IDML document opened in Publisher but if you have actually opened a PDF file with embedded fonts, they would not be available for you without having the same fonts physically installed on your computer or activated with Adobe Fonts (or with Microsoft Office, or any other cloud source possibly used in the original document), and used fonts mapped correctly to installed ones.

Embedded fonts in a placed PDF would be useable and exportable only if the PDF has been placed (File > Place) to be passed through (the default option), rather than to be interpreted (which option requires installed fonts, similarly as opening a PDF) -- or if the placed content is rasterized. Adobe apps behave basically similarly, so they honor the license restrictions specified by font manufacturers for usage of embedded fonts.

What seems odd is that most of the used fonts should have been converted to outlines, since when you open a PDF with embedded fonts and matching installed fonts are not found, they are typically replaced with "equivalent" installed fonts, not converted to curves. Conversion to curves happens when you open or place EPS files with embedded fonts (whether those fonts are installed or not).

Hello, thank you for your efforts. 

Yes, the source-document was in IDML, openend in Publisher. I have all the fonts physically on my Mac. I can work with them in the Publisher document. The font Minion works well, but all text written in Interstate will be converted into curves when exported in PDF. The problem is, i send the PDF to the author where he can make his corrections and so on. But he cannot make changes in text converted to curves.

I really dont understand where the problem comes from.

59 minutes ago, macfloer said:

I really dont understand where the problem comes from.

Yes, odd. 

Try what happens with this one:

interstate.afpub

I do not have these physically installed but just activated with Adobe Fonts and used on macOS Ventura in Affinity Publisher 2.04, and they export just fine.

interstate.pdf

Could it be that you have these fonts on your system both as installed physical fonts AND activated as Adobe Fonts, and this could result in auto-conversion to outlines?