You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you lock art to guides in Affinity Publisher?

I'm new to Publisher but know my way around software well. Never really picked up more than the basics of InDesign, so I'm enjoying getting to know Publisher.

I'm working on layout out a comic and sometimes I change my mind on what pages to include or the order. I can delete or add pages and move them around etc which is great. However, when I do this my artwork goes out of alignment as my guides are asymmetrical (1/2 inch more on the 'Inner' guide) to give more room for the spine fold. I'm thinking this could be solved in one of two ways I can think of:

1. Lock placed artwork to guide (auto aligns horizontal and vertical to guide)
  2. Select all, align to guide (aligns horizontal and vertical to guide) for the entire document

Are either of these possible? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way. As of now I am just clicking on every spread, select all and then align horizontal, align vertical, rinse and repat. It gets old quick.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 9.46.00 AM.png

Edited by awcomix
fix typos and ad tags

Locking to a guide is a definite no, aligning to a guide would have to know which guide was selected so at the moment that's also a no, maybe make a request for align to selected guide.

in the meantime why not use margins, these can be set asymmetrically to allow for spine etc and the benefit is you can align to margins.  

1502488693_Screenshot2023-04-01at19_06_12.png.9710f94f2fa2dd1bea60686539f66744.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Automatically no, they cannot be "tied" to a margin edge and move as the margin moves, that's akin to responsive web pages where a webpage has containers. There is a panel called constraints which does a similar thing. This may give you some semblance of control but I'm not sure it's exactly what you are looking for but I hope this helps.

https://affinity.help/publisher2/English.lproj/pages/DesignAids/constraints.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions