You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher file worked fine in Version 2.04, immediately crashed in Beta 2.1.0.1714 (Beta)

I have a Publisher file created with the main releases of Affinity, Version 1 and Version 2. The file is 25.5 MB large, about 300 letter sized pages with photos, text, and artwork. When I opened the beta version today and notified there was a newer version, I downloaded and installed it. Without thinking about consequences, I opened my Publisher file and made some very minor changes to text and performed a 'Save.' The program disappeared and shut itself down. No warning, no error messages. The Publisher file can be opened and viewed fine. But when anything is changed, then saved the program disappears. Changes to the file are occasionally saved before the program crashes, sometimes not. Obviously, I am unable to open the file in the 2.04 Version to check its performance there because it was last saved as the later beta version. I have backup copies but none with the most recent changes. I didn't use any of the new features in the beta version on the file.

I am willing to share the file with Affinity tech support but not with those on the Forum. How do I proceed?

Details of my laptop: 

Processor: Intel Core i7-1075H CPU @2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable).

System: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows edition: Windows 11 Home

Version: 22H2

I've attached the two files giving me trouble. Please note, to send this to you I first put them on a thumb drive to transfer it to my desktop computer. When I opened the files directly from that thumbdrive into the Beta Publisher I could only get the smaller file to behave badly, that is, crash. To get the crash to occur, all I had to do was attempt to delete text in a text window, then undelete it, or just save the corrections. The program then crashed. 

Shortly, I'll log in to this post from my laptop and send you the larger file directly from there, by passing the thumbdrive.  

Please let me know if you want me to send you a "package" of the materials used in the files. 

Thank you for your assistance with this. I have since recovered backups of all the files in V2.04. 

Bob

BACKUP Affinity Ver 2 - Stories of Larry Master 2023 Full Vol 8.5x11 Final unremembered spelling.afpub Stories of Larry - Appendix I - Vest Pocket Park Project.afpub

I am adding this file, again from the thumbdrive, as after opening it a few times and not getting it to crash by moving items or adding text, when I tried to Save or Save As the file after it completing the quick Save progress bar, the program immediately closed down. I have added an 'A' at the end of the file name to distinguish it from the first file I sent you.

I also noticed that when Opening Recent Files in the opening menu and moving down to 'More' a couple of the saved versions of the file come up with colored boxes instead of Photos from the layout. Not sure if this is related to anything.

BACKUP Affinity Ver 2 - Stories of Larry Master 2023 Full Vol 8.5x11 Final unremembered spellingA.afpub

• Staff

Thanks for those files. I've been able to reproduce a crash with the last file you sent. I found setting autosave down to 30 seconds and leaving the file open, the adding objects to the pages would trigger a crash

I'll get this logged, thanks for the report

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "File crashes when saving after being modified" (REF: AFB-7512) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.