You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity doesn't respect line thicknesses when importing Indesign .idml

32 minutes ago, Jan Peeters said:

when I import a .idml with the following background pattern

There is going to be something in the InDesign file that is not translatable to the Affinity application. Could be an InDesign scaling factor, or an InDesign Effect (if they have those, been so long since I used it), or an InDesign Style or some such.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @Old Bruce Yes, you would think so, but those things I already checked. I even cleared out any transparency just to be sure and did another trial. It's just a bunch of polygons, circles and lines. You can check for yourself. I'll include the .idml. as an attachment. If I open this .idml in Indesign I get this:

image.thumb.png.4b3e1c6e9d9acfd1ebe0aa16faa77282.png

In Affinity Publisher is gives this:

image.thumb.png.bfc5d5e67d901412559afeee3f26f1ae.png

So I'm afraid that your assumptions are incorrect and there is more at hand.

Best, Jan

Faulty idml import.idml

Are the strokes the same weight in InDesign and Publisher? Was there any scaling of strokes and other objects during the construction in InDesign? Not having InDesign I cannot check anything with it.

This is a relatively simple fix in Publisher 2. Use the Select > Select Same > Stroke Colour once you have chosen one of the errant curves. Then change it to the one point or fractional point that it is supposed to be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Good questions.

Weird, but the strokes are indeed the same weight. What I discovered is that if I draw a line in InDesign after import of the .idml that has the same thickness as the thin lines, it becomes as thick as how it is displayed in Publisher.

There are no appearance, scaling nor style settings attached to the thin lines in InDesign.

I didn't make the design, so I don't know if any scaling took place originally, but if you scale a stroke and have setting 'Include Stroke Weight' active, InDesign 2023 just changes the stroke weight to a lower value. No scale value stays attached to the line.

So I'll have to do some more digging to find out why InDesign show the stroke thicknesses thinner than they are compared to their real value.