You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add the ability to Save JXR

On 3/9/2023 at 1:14 AM, myclay said:

It works in multiple Editing Programs like for example with Affinity Photo.
Jpeg XL is a brand new file format. In March 2022 it was standardized.

Yeah there's lots of support in editing programs for all kinds of formats, the problem is consumer level. There's no solution for people to easily consume HDR images in a format that is also easy to create.

JXR is the closest I've seen to at least beginning to solve that problem due to native Windows support and Xbox. Or at least help create some sort of demand for newer formats to be supported. If there was a bunch of awesome HDR paintings/photos out there that people wanted to see but couldn't without downloading the file, that would help create the demand.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:14 AM, myclay said:

For example; Adobe recommends Jpeg XL for HDR output.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html

Photoshop is it's own shitshow cause it's not a default saving format it is a saving format ONLY in their cameraraw thing which requires steps to open up in a way that lets you save these formats unless you have lightroom. It's really stupid.

34 minutes ago, fde101 said:

HDR isn't really a priority for most web designers, and thus for most web browsers.

Yeah I guess but that didn't apply to videos DX, there's plenty of video support but no images support. 

Can't create demand if there's no working solution in the first place.

35 minutes ago, fde101 said:

8-bit only WebP on the other hand: https://caniuse.com/webp

Is there even a way to make those? 🤔

53 minutes ago, fde101 said:

HDR isn't really a priority for most web designers, and thus for most web browsers.

Also to be clear avif DOES work in most browsers just not edge. and does display as HDR in those browsers, it even works for text and such.

Just check this out, but finding this kind of support on a publicly uploadable website is a pain.

Create and edit true HDR (High Dynamic Range) images - Greg Benz Photography

Never seen an 8bit Webp tho, and that works on everything...

On 3/6/2023 at 11:44 AM, Screen Monkey said:

Ability to save as jxr

Weirdly the only programme  I've ever seen that saves as jpegxr is paint.net (an old side-lined by Microsoft project still available for Windows). it  also saves as avif if required. It's obviously not as versatile as Affinity but could provide a workaround for HDR art.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I didn't realize this before but I see why AVIF seems to be what people are leaning toward. The compression on those is INSANE.

a 8-12MB HDR/whatever is like 200KB in AVIF.

Photoshop supports this but affinity does not...

At this point maybe I just need to constantly campaign for AVIF support. that would easily replace JPEG. It just needs broader support. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, sacb0y said:

So why is Avif not a saveable format in affinity photo?

This thread is about JXR, and the forum rules say you should stay on topic.

If you want to support a feature request for AVIF support, please add your vote under the existing thread for that topic:

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.