You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Publisher - snap to guides alignment is off center

jane33

Hi there - new user here! 

I have a table on its own layer, which I then used to create the guides. 

On another layer, I want to be able to select the Artistic Text and have it center in the table cell - this would be done by having it center between two vertical guides. 

My expectation is that when I am moving an object, once it is centered between the two closest vertical guides, the green line will appear to let me know. 

However, this doesn't seem to work. The green line is off-center. 

I've checked if it was still aligning to the grid for some reason and it's also not aligned to the grid lines. 

The only option I have set in Snapping is "snap to guides" for All Layers. I have already tried all kinds of other things based on searches here and nothing fixes this (eg, Force Pixel alignment, Snap to spread, Snap to layer geometry, etc. I've enabled them all and turned off one by one to see if anything changed.) 

I've attached a screenshot and screen rec. I have also enabled the grid so you can see that whatever the green snap line is finding is neither the grid nor the guide. In the screen rec I also show the Snapping settings. I do not have the grid enabled otherwise - I only did that for the screenshot and screen rec here. 

It's clear that when something is aligned using the center green line, it's not centered at all. It's not just a few pixels - it's really visible to the naked eye. 

image.jpeg.600a20a3fdb0b9b274d09701a1e970b9.jpeg

Hi @jane33 and welcome to the forums...

Try enabling Snap to layer bounding boxes and also Include box midpoints (the sub category). This should then allow you to drag guides that snap to the centre of each table cell which you can then use when dragging your Artistic Text so it snaps to those centred guides...

Give that a go and let us know. if that works..

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, jane33 said:

Can you tell me what you mean by "drag guides that snap to centre of each table cell"? 

When I drag a guide, I don't get any red, green, or yellow visual cues. I only see the red dashed guide line. 

After a little more experimentation, I've realised the the guides I've been dragging aren't actually snapping to the centre of each table cell, they are close but I'm not entirely sure what they are snapping to.

Asking what may be a silly question, but is there a particular reason for not adding the text directly inside the table cell and centring it as part of the table?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

I was having trouble getting the table to stay put. So in order to lock the table, I made it its own layer. 

Even with palm recognition turned on and working in other apps, this app is super sensitive and kept picking up my hand and moving the table. 

Also i was still trying to figure out where/what size/etc for the text and it's easier to move around as artistic text rather than text in a cell. 

I ended up making a rectangle that was the size of the cell and then I was able to align the text that way. I just moved the rectangle to each bit of text. Not ideal but works for now 🙂