You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enable to make a PDF on a document publisher

Since the update of the new version of publisher, we have issue with a document that we begin before the update. We are not able to create a simple PDF. All our pictures is linked in the doc correctly and they are not too high. The preflight tools doesn't show anyway problems too. The document is 12.2 MB. When we click on export for PDF it's very long and it's make many hours to create de PDF. I've try to create a new document and copy paste my elements in this new document and it's still the same. What is strange if that when i'm open a another document i'm good to create PDF, it's work. 

I don't understand why this document doesn't work to export ? Did you have an idea of what can cause this issue ? 

@Anouk Dupuis, welcome to the forums,

Without seeing the Publisher document itself it is almost impossible to diagnose what is causing the problem with you pdf export. Are you able to package the document up to include all the linked images and then upload the package to the forum so we can take a look and try to identify what is causing the issue.

If that isn't appropriate a member of the moderation team can provide a private dropbox link for you to upload the file to.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Without seeing the Publisher document itself it is almost impossible to diagnose what is causing the problem with you pdf export. Are you able to package the document up to include all the linked images and then upload the package to the forum so we can take a look and try to identify what is causing the issue.

If that isn't appropriate a member of the moderation team can provide a private dropbox link for you to upload the file to.

Hello, 
no i'm not able to make a package too. Every time that I try it take so long and my software is bugging and it doesn't make any results. And like I said it work with an another document but not this one and I have remake all the document in a new document and it still the same. I can put a exemple what it look like when i'm clicking on export, it's open a screen but it doesn't make a preview of my PDF and after when I click save in the folder that I want it's just freeze and the app shut down.. 

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 2.41.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 2.43.23 PM.png

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

I have make a package finally it's work for this side but I have still problem to export to pdf. So if you can check my file and show me what wrong in there, it will be appreciate! 
Thanks,

package.zip

40 minutes ago, Anouk Dupuis said:

So if you can check my file and show me what wrong in there

Un-install the Inter variable font (Inter-VariableFont_slnt,wght.ttf from Google Fonts).
You cannot use it in APub, and it causes name conflicts with the static fonts.

@Anouk Dupuis, apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I've been gradually reconstructing your file to try and identify the cause of the export issue and have now managed to figure what is causing the problem...

The graduated dashed storke on the Lead web master which then appears on Page 4 of your document is definitely causing Publisher to hang when attempting to export the file. This results in Publisher becoming unresponsive even if you attempt to cancel the export and subsequently you have to force quit Publisher to continue.

1975024523_PublisherFreezeonExport.jpg.7dfaa9a4ba475a6011f0ed73b11c49e9.jpg

If I simply toggle the visibility of that particular layer off it allows me to export the file to pdf using the settings shown in your screengrab. It would be really helpful if you could try doing the same to see if you are then able to export your file.

In the meantime I've reported this as a bug here...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

18 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@Anouk Dupuis, apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I've been gradually reconstructing your file to try and identify the cause of the export issue and have now managed to figure what is causing the problem...

The graduated dashed storke on the Lead web master which then appears on Page 4 of your document is definitely causing Publisher to hang when attempting to export the file. This results in Publisher becoming unresponsive even if you attempt to cancel the export and subsequently you have to force quit Publisher to continue.

1975024523_PublisherFreezeonExport.jpg.7dfaa9a4ba475a6011f0ed73b11c49e9.jpg

If I simply toggle the visibility of that particular layer off it allows me to export the file to pdf using the settings shown in your screengrab. It would be really helpful if you could try doing the same to see if you are then able to export your file.

In the meantime I've reported this as a bug here...

Wow thank you it work now when I delete de stroke! Thank you so much it's been a long time that I try to fix the problem and I didn't know that type of shape can cause issue like this. Thank you again :)

Another issue when i'm exporting to PDF, it's that my font Inter is not always with the good font styles. For example in my document my titles are in bold but when I export in PDF, the result is simply in normal style. Do you know why ? 

crm-leave-behind-2023.pdf

44 minutes ago, Anouk Dupuis said:

Another issue when i'm exporting to PDF, it's that my font Inter is not always with the good font styles. For example in my document my titles are in bold but when I export in PDF, the result is simply in normal style. Do you know why ? 

See my post above.

56 minutes ago, Anouk Dupuis said:

@Anouk Dupuis, as @kenmcd mentions, the Affinity apps don't currently support variable width fonts, so simply uninstall Inter-VariableFont_slnt,wght.ttf and change your titles to Inter Bold and then your pdf should appear as intended...

@Anouk Dupuis, and just to add, if you wish to keep the graduated dashed line around the text, which works nicely as part of your design, then simply change the dash settings to this and you will still be able to export your file...

827549543_DashedLineSettingsWorking.jpg.a254c4de4a093a35c5c00ec726274c75.jpg

16 hours ago, Hangman said:

@Anouk Dupuis, and just to add, if you wish to keep the graduated dashed line around the text, which works nicely as part of your design, then simply change the dash settings to this and you will still be able to export your file...

827549543_DashedLineSettingsWorking.jpg.a254c4de4a093a35c5c00ec726274c75.jpg

Ohhh wow thanks, I'll try it for sure! A big thanks for your support it's really appreciate :) 

Just now, Anouk Dupuis said:

Ohhh wow thanks, I'll try it for sure! A big thanks for your support it's really appreciate :) 

That's no problem at all, it was a tricky one to track down but it's now been logged as a bug so hopefully it will be fixed in an upcoming release... :)