You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lag/Stutter in Affinity Photo on Windows

I've been using the trial to test out Affinity Photo (Affinity Photo 2.0.4 on Windows 10), and I keep encountering semi-random stutter using it - like, the framerate of the application gets really low for a second or so. I was encountering this CONSTANTLY when I was adding a bunch of shapes to a document, like almost every time I would drag anything anywhere.

To test a little bit, I created a new document with just a single image layer in it and nothing else, and if I just select the image and wiggle my cursor up and down, my cursor will occasionally stutter in the same way, even though I'm not even moving the image, just my cursor. This doesn't happen if I don't have the image selected, interestingly.

Overall really happy with Affinity so I'm hoping this is solvable, would love to switch over to it as my go-to photo editing software!

4 hours ago, Roland Munsil said:

Small update, I decided based on some other forum posts to try switching from the default renderer (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070) to WARP and it eliminates the random stutter, but now moving things around causes some weird artifacting and is generally not very smooth.

Try toggling Retena Rendering to High from Automatic. It is under the same tab. FWIW, a 2070 *should* be able to utilize OpenCL just fine.

My inital reply seems to have disappeared? Sorry if this is a double post:

- I don't see any other graphics cards in device manager

- Retina Rendering was already set to Automatic (Best) - I tried changing to "Low Quality" just in case, didn't do anything though unfortunately. 

You did mention OpenCL though, so I tried turning off OpenCL acceleration and that actually seems to have fixed it.

2 hours ago, Roland Munsil said:

My inital reply seems to have disappeared? Sorry if this is a double post:

- I don't see any other graphics cards in device manager

- Retina Rendering was already set to Automatic (Best) - I tried changing to "Low Quality" just in case, didn't do anything though unfortunately. 

You did mention OpenCL though, so I tried turning off OpenCL acceleration and that actually seems to have fixed it.

Retina Rendering options are Low/High/Auto. I suggested to set to "High" because it skips the in-between phase of rendering the canvas which can sometimes lead to artifacts. I generally have more problems with Auto than High on my build. However, in V2 as of recent I did find a rather severe bug that appeared only with High lol (can't win)... so YMMV. It's just a thing we suggest to try sometimes.

Turning off OpenCL/Hardware Acceleration tends to help people the most with rendering problems/sluggishness.

Ahhh, my bad, I misread!

Though now I'm doing more testing and even with my original settings, the issue has still gone away. So I guess it must not be consistent? I'll definitely experiment with the retina and opencl settings if it pops up again, though.

(Thanks for your help, by the way!)

Edited by Roland Munsil