You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot connect to server to activate on new Windows 11 laptop

Hello,

I have the Universal License for Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher (all v2.0.4) and I'm NOT able to activate the license on my new Windows 11 laptop. I am getting the "cannot connect to server" error for all three products.

I have tried disabling the Windows 11 Firewall and Virus Scanner and the issue still persists. I've tried running in administrative mode and it still cannot connect. I've tried switching to the google DNS. I've tried ipconfig /flushdns and still nothing.

Just for kicks, I tried deactivating and activating the license on my Mac, and I have no issues there. This is running on the same network.

I'm at a loss for what I can do to resolve this issue.

Edited by davidoffyuy
add additional fixes that didn't work.

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with this. Do you have any third party firewalls or VPN/Proxies installed? Is it possible to provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?

We've had issues were Activation fails or doesn't work if the time/date/timezone is not correct on the computer - worth checking.

I'm sure we can get this sorted.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post a quick thanks. This solved my problem. It was a time zone thing for me.

Gotta say, however, I miss the old v1 system. Online activation is just terrible. THE worst. It's a shame that Serif hasn't gone the license file route that 3DCoat has, and LightWave before it. Self-activation is often preferable for those with spotty internet or admin restricted network issues. Not everybody lives in a net connected world space - even today in 2023.

That aside, online activation removes the illusion of ownership. This issue was harshly felt by Adobe CS era users who bought licenses that they thought were permanent, but then found out that Adobe had discontinued activation for their old versions. I'm NOT saying that this will ever happen with Affinity, but you can bet that I'm definitely holding on to my old v1 in case it ever does.

Those responsible for making decisions SHOULD revisit this issue though. It makes Affinity just a little less desirable than before. Part of the appeal was this sense of permanence, ownership. Online activation flies in the face of that and, as you can see here, comes with problems that offline (license file or serial) self-activation doesn't.

ANYWAY... Rant aside, I still thank you for solving this problem, for me at least.

11 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

The key part is around 01:50 onwards:

While I'm not in favor of piracy, it's an entirely valid point being made.

When I buy something, I would like to potentially use it until it no longer works; Not because the company stops it from working. If I buy an Altima, I want to be able to drive it until it just dies on the side of the road; Not because Nissan decided that it was in their best interests for me to get next year's model.

Just because my car is old and crappy compared to the shiny new bauble that they're peddling doesn't mean that I want to abandon it. If I'm happy with what I have and see no compelling reason to upgrade, I won't. Or maybe I will. I should be my decision though.

And that happened to me with the CS series some years ago. Adobe turned off those old servers and pushed everybody into subscriptions. What was supposed to be a permanent license just became an extended loaner. Not what I paid for.

They tried to convince us that, "Hey. We're doing it because those old CS versions just don't work on newer OSes." Not true. REALLY not true. Even my older v7 still ran fine. It was all spin and damage control to push the subscriptions after some activation free serial numbers and executables got leaked.

To my original point, there has to be some truth in advertising. If you're selling us a permanent license, actually make it permanent. Creating this invisible barrier that can negate permanence seems contrary to what's being advertised. An offline activation scheme involving a serial number or license file might terrify the money people afraid of piracy's impact to the bottom line, but it better serves the actual paying end users.

If the developers can turn off the online activation servers then your purchase is hardly permanent, as far as these things go.

One last real world point. Take a look at 3DCoat. More specifically, take a look at Pilgway, 3DCoat's developers. They're Ukraine based and developing smack dab in the middle of a war. If they didn't offer that offline licensing file alternative and their online licensing servers suddenly got destroyed, a LOT of pros and hobbyists relying on that software would be left hanging.

Online activation benefits the developers, but offline activation (eg. serials) - free of 3rd party intervention such as e-mailing the devs - benefits the end users even more. So, the real question here is, "Whose interests are more important?" IOW, making money is important, but is it more important than the customers giving you that money? The best way to ensure loyalty is to engender it.