You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture change look when saved to another format such as JPEG OR Layers are merged

Hello there,

I have made a pictures that I like but in order for it to be uploaded on the net I have to convert it to JPEG.

This however result in a radical change in how the picture look. You can see my original picture, as it should be in the upload marked "Correct". Thats the one with "Glitter".

However, it looks like "...change it self" if you make a JPEG out of it and by the way also if you merge layers.

I have also included a picture of the layers in the picture.

Have any idea about how to fix this and what causes it. Can I applie this effect without this problem and what then do I have to avoid?

Best regards

Kid Svala

AdPho change itselfg.JPG

AdPho correct.JPG

Layers for picture.JPG

Edited by Kid Svala
Clarifie.

Welcome!

Check your layers and layer blend modes, in order to see if some layer & setting might affects this on export (...especially the applied Diffuse filter layer). Further review your JPG export quality settings which effects compression.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hello again,

it is the Diffuce filter that cause the problem. I must say it feel strange that there is a filter you can not use

IF you have a need to use your picture in another file format then Affinitys own!!! Because it´s the same with

all other file formats.

Are there any way to flatten the file so it drops all live functions and layers. That would  probably solve this problem?

Merging layer downvards does not solve it.

Regards

Kid

4 hours ago, Kid Svala said:

Have any idea about how to fix this and what causes it.

Maybe something to do with transparency.
The diffuse filter affects transparency however the JPG format does not allow transparency.
You could try checking "Preserve Alpha" in the Diffuse filter.

44 minutes ago, Kid Svala said:

it is the Diffuce filter that cause the problem.

You must view the exact appearance of the Diffuse filter at 100% zoom because it is "pixel dependent". If you zoom out, the software will only attempt to simulate the effect based on the actual pixel amount of the canvas preview. That gives you an incorrect impression of how the effect will look like.

In other words, your JPEG export is in fact correct.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Now… how to achieve the effect you're seeing on canvas so that it also exports?
That may require some merging, rasterizing, downscaling and upscaling.
(I don't have the time to play with it right now, but perhaps someone else can chime in.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2