You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thank you all for your interest. Yesterday it worked perfectly with cmd + 1 before I clicked export. I tried several times and everything was perfect.

BUT today as I did about the exact same commands with the same image, there is no grain when I exported the image to my desktop.

Is it a bug or have I gone crazy overnight.

Do you still have the original Affinity file with the noise applied to it? If so, what does it look like at 100% zoom level? How does that compare to the exported version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I do not know if I understand your question, but I use New Live Filters, then Add Noise. If I use Flatten or not does not matter. When I click cmd + 1 the image enlarges in a manner it didn't do yesterday. I can only see a little part of the picture on the screen. No grain in the exported image.

No changes of the settings in  Affinity were made since yesterday.

in my test on this matter, and following r-c-r's suggestion, i've found that in ap the density of the displayed noise is higher than the actual density added to the image. this effect disappears when the image is shown at 100% zoom: in this situation, the noise ap displays corresponds to the noise it will embed into the image when exported. as you zoom out, the noise apperas more and more dense, but it is only an effect of the way the display engine works.

try this test: load the image, presso cmd-0 to be sure it is entirely shown in ap's window, then apply the add noise filter and set the noise to maximum.

how much noise do you see in the image? i guess it appears extremely noisy.

then press cmd-1 to zoom to 100%. you'll see only a portion of the image. how much noise do you see in it?

now, export the image and reload the exported image, then press cmd-1 to show it at 100% zoom.

how does it compare with the original+noise?

in my experience, they are identical.

take care,

stefano

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions step by step and the events match your description. But the exported image on my desktop has lost all the noise / grain.

That the picture keeps the grain in Af does not help, I need to be able to save the picture and mail it (grainy) now and then. 
Did you use the New Live Filter Layer?

I still can't understand what happened since yesterday.

@ola, i think i don't understand. you say that exported image has lost all of the noise. but at the same time, you say that you exported and reloaded the image and it was identical to the image before exporting (at least, this is what i guess you mean with "I have followed your instructions step by step and the events match your description.").

take care,

stefano

@barninga, what I meant was that I followed your suggestions, but when I opened the exported image on the desktop the grain, that appeared in Af, had disappeared. Both in the first exported image (which I reloaded) and the  then reloaded image. Perfect in Af but without noise when exported to my desktop.

Sorry, but my English is not better than this.

:) my english is not any better than yours... misunderstandings are always a bilateral matter.

ok, apparently, i can't reproduce the problem, since my exported image, if viewed from the desktop at 100% zoom, shows the same amount of noise i can see in ap, at 100% zoom, before exporting.

i have no clues left at this point, sorry.

take care,

stefano

Ola, the most important thing to understand about this is if you start with a large image (one that you can only see a part of in the window on the screen of your Mac if you type cmd-1), when you are viewing all of it (like when you type cmd-0), the noise you see is not actually the noise that has been added to the image. It is just a very rough approximation that will usually look much more grainy than it actually is.

So even if you don't change any settings in Affinity Photo, if you test with a large image (one bigger than will fit on the screen at its actual size) you will see something different from testing with a small image (one that will fit on the screen at its actual size). 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I started with a very large image. With a smaller picture it works fine. I did not check the size before I added the noise filter. I've never done that in Photoshop, so I found it hard to grasp the problem with the actual size.

I may have to resize the pictures, as many of my images are quite large 50-60 cm (19-23 inches) wide, at least those that are designed for fine art prints.

You've all been very patient with me. I think that this forum is a great.

(And JimmyJack, I forgive you for –  you know what. Nunca he oído antes).