You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Texture Line Style applied to a donut shape.

So I created a logo in Affinity Designer using a donut shape to make a letter "C" outline. I applied a "Texture Line Style" using a brush and it looks nice. 

image.png.310330faf38336679e6cdcc13708982f.png

I exported it to pdf and sent it to a vinyl sticker printing company to print the logo onto a clear sticker. When they printed the logo, there was a strange outline to the whole thing. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the vector donut shape is still visible behind the texture line brush for some reason. You can see it zoomed in:

image.png.c0cf494eb6111f6488c462e949df1141.png

I have tried everything and I can't do anything to make that outline invisible. Any help with this?

Thank you!

The layers have a brush which is not fully transparent. I boosted the transparency to make this visible. 
The area matches the stroke width. 

046151A7-92A3-4E94-AF3E-0BB972126988.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I assume you export as raster format (flattened). Then you can add 1-2 adjustment layers to truncate alpha values below a threshold, e.g. 10%

TNC Logo Indra Web 8 - FLAT DESIGN-ORIGINAL SHADOWED nmf.afdesign

Edited by NotMyFault
File attached

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Another non-destructive possibilty is to group (blue) the Outer C donut objects (green) while making a copy of one donut (red), giving it a simple solid opaque stroke, and adjusting its width and angle and mask the blue group with it:

ade_mask_vector_brush.png.44cfc151e77bedaa9bf2e4bb5b9526f3.png

If the export should be more "vector", then you may want to expand the stroke mask to regular curves so that the mask remains a vector curve. Otherwise masking with a stroke will rasterize.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 1/26/2023 at 11:43 AM, NotMyFault said:

I assume you export as raster format (flattened). Then you can add 1-2 adjustment layers to truncate alpha values below a threshold, e.g. 10%

TNC Logo Indra Web 8 - FLAT DESIGN-ORIGINAL SHADOWED nmf.afdesign 5.89 MB · 1 download

Wow thank you! Truthfully I don't even know what you did haha! But it definitely looks better. For some reason I still don't understand why the donut shape is visible instead of only the texture line. But this looks really good, so thank you.