You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some PDFs get stuck in interpret mode

vixm

I'm using macOS 12.6.2 with the current release versions of Publisher 2 and Designer 2 (2.0.3 in both cases).

Summary:
Embedded placed PDFs can get stuck in interpret mode, and changing the dropdown to passthrough does not switch them back.

Steps to recreate:
1) Create an Illustrator file (or PDF) with a visually obvious interpret issue (eg. missing font), and make sure it defines a BleedBox bigger than its TrimBox
2) Place and embed it into Publisher or Designer, using the default TrimBox
3) Switch it from Passthrough to Interpret
4) Switch the page box from TrimBox to BleedBox
5) Switch from Interpret back to Passthrough

The file is now stuck in interpret mode, no matter the setting chosen in the menu. Additionally, it is stuck rendering the TrimBox no matter what, just scaling it up and down to match the size of the BleedBox, or whatever other box is selected.

Notes:
This happens for .pdf and .ai files, so isn't specific to .ai. It also happens for PDFs exported from the Affinity apps.
It affects the export result as well as the on screen display.
Saving the Publisher file that the PDF is placed into, then reopening it, fixes both appearances, as well as the page box issue.

The first file I noticed it on was one where I didn't have a font installed (1 Litre.pdf in error.zip attached), so I thought it was related to missing fonts. However, it doesn't happen with some of the files in no error.zip attached, which are missing this font, so I'm not really sure what differentiates them. I also removed the text from 1 Litre.pdf and it still happens.

error.zip no error.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Vixm,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm struggling to reproduce this here using the files provided in error.zip. Please could you confirm if this issue still occurs in our 2.0.4 version and if it does could you provide a screenshot demonstrating you recreating the issue with the files provided?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.