You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help to Cut / Add / Subtract using shapes simply

Hi. I'm new here. I've been using photoshop mix for about 3 years now and when they ended support for it and replaced it with photoshop express i gave it a shot but it's terrible. what i liked about "mix" is how easy it is to zoom into any part of an image as close as you like to make clean edits with add/subtract using a circle square or triangle shaped selection. i do a lot of font designs/ lettering, logos, etc so over the years it has become crucial to have this tool. i assumed with it being a free cell phone app that all other serious desktop versions would allow the same options but so far after trying a handful of adobe products, gimp, corel with no luck i'm now trying the very promising affinity designer. i've watched a couple tutorials and read about a few things and i'm thinking i may find the type of tool in the geometry area of designer but i need help if anyone can send me in the right direction of a tutorial for what i'm talking about. i'll include some pictures that will hopefully let you know what kind of feature i need most from an editing software. is something like what i'm showing as easily done in affinity designer? thanks and sorry if i sound dumb. i promise i have moderate to advanced skills but only when using one particular program and i really want to learn more and branch out. thanks

Photo Dec 10 2022, 11 51 39 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 32 13 PM.png

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 32 48 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 33 37 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 33 55 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 34 01 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 34 09 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 27 2022, 8 34 20 PM (1).png

Welcome to the forum @BreakThru

So you look to be working on raster images selecting pixels, which would point more to Affinity Photo than Affinity Designer. 

Affinity Designer is primarily a vector oriented app with basic pixel editing but, the pixel persona will do what you want and a bit more. Instead of using selections why not use the erase tool, this can be used with pixel brushes so you can erase with different brush heads.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just to add, the Affinity applications run on desktops (macOS and Windows) and iPads, but not on mobile phones. 

Serif offer free 30-day unrestricted trials for all their apps. For Affinity Photo, which I too think would be more suitable to the workflow you've described, scroll to the bottom of the page I've linked.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

thanks to both of you. i will try it out tonight. the erase tool sounds great. didn’t have one or brushes on ps mix. just the option to erase by shape selecting or free hand. also thank u i noticed the no mobile app thing and am good with that. it bothers me how used to i am of using the touchscreen for designing. i feel almost lost without constant pinching and tapping and rotating fingers and want to seriously learn a desktop setup. i’ll see where i get with the pixel persona and get the photo trial and decide. thanks for the help and not just thinking i’m a dumdum