You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move (and rename) individual brushes on ipad designer?

On the desktop version of Designer you can both EDIT a brush and right-click to rename/move a brush (when in designer persona and in the brushes panel) in order to easily edit, move (and re-name) individual brushes to a category of your choice.

How do you move, edit and re-name an individual brush on the ipad version? (like the desktop version and a right-click in the brushes panel)

The only way to even edit them individually in the ipad version appears to be in the top menu bar when the vector brush is selected (as opposed to the desktop version and simply double clicking a brush in the brushes panel).

...... where you are then given an option to 'save' it which automatically makes a no-named new version of the edited brush and places it in the same category

....as opposed to the desktop version where an edited brush can be 'duplicated' instead.... where the duplicate is then also copied (also with no-name) to the same category BUT where you can at least then easily re-name and move it with a right click in the brushes panel.

The ipad/desktop versions should BOTH probably have a 'save as' rather than (a different functioning) 'duplicate' or 'save' options.....where you are perhaps then prompted to name your brush and choose a brush category. (The ipad version should also have the ability to rename an existing or copied brush).

I'm often making TWO versions of many of my brushes (one with size variance turned up to 100% and one at 0%) in order to simply avoid issues with the stroke pressure curve graphs being unable to be edited later if using a non size-variance enabled brush......as the variable stroke curve/graph appears to be linked to both the initial drawing pressure when first creating strokes AND the internal setting for each brush....... I originally thought this was a bug but it was solvable with two versions of each brush....it is just MUCH more frustrating on the ipad with the different 'saving'/'duplicate' conventions and inability to edit (or re-name) brushes within the brushes panel on the ipad.

EDIT: The desktop version has a brush properties 'properties' tab/button next to the pressure curve graph....the ipad should really have this too for when you want to easily edit the brush on an individual and selected existing stroke.

It is also really annoying that the ipad help documentation in the app if often for the desktop version......if these two versions (desktop/ipad) are going to be different in so far as how you access the same (but different operating) options/functions between platforms then they should really have TWO different manuals.....writing these manuals FIRST and before release would also help Serif in getting ahead of the various release discrepancies when beta testing as there are often features actually forgotten about between the two at release..... like for instance the reverse path (which was missed but now added) and the above-mentioned difference in stoke editing...... to get around the stroke variable-width graph editor being tied to pen pressure and individual brush size-variance settings.

Sorry for the bitch, the software is really good, the discrepancies (and missing stuff) is just REALLY frustrating!

Edited by Secret Goldfish
extra thoughts

2 hours ago, Secret Goldfish said:

EDIT: The desktop version has a brush properties 'properties' tab/button next to the pressure curve graph....the ipad should really have this too for when you want to easily edit the brush on an individual and selected existing stroke.

Are you referring to the dialog you get if you tap this icon?

image.thumb.png.37048b0d6e230beca84d01f9192d8711.png 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah those are the same brush options, but they should probably be in the stroke studio too (with saveable pressure stroke settings) like the desktop version/app where it is clear that this is the vector-stroke connected to your currently selected stroke.

The (same) brush options in your screenshot are the settings for the next brush stroke..... and are only seen when the brush tool is selected rather than when the selection tool and a previously made stroke is selected.

On the desktop version you can simply click the properties button on the currently selected stroke to adjust its brush settings

On the ipad version a previously made brush stroke requires you to select the old stroke and apply a new brush, where you first have to switch back to the brush tool, choose the new brush, edit it via the top menu (icon from your screenshot), save it out as a duplicate/copy and then re-apply to the stroke you want to update. 

Having the existing tools/setting appearing somewhere in the differing versions of the app is good but the differing workflows and differences between desktop and mobile os and apps also probably need to be further considered.

Edited by Secret Goldfish

• 4 months later...

Hi, I agree, missing possibility to edit brushes or even just rename them is frustrating. Especially since this was possible in the previous version on iPad, you could click&hold on the brush and your got the context menu to edit, rename, move brush etc.

I love the first version of affinity designer on the iPad but in general I feel like the second version is a step back at least on the iPad in some areas. Also UI looked much better and modern in the previous version and it was easier to navigate… 

I wanted to purchase the new version, but I’m hesitating now… which is a pitty because I’m a fan…

FFC18DE9-0978-4F6D-8378-592FCE18D2D1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Martin P said:

missing possibility to edit brushes or even just rename them is frustrating. Especially since this was possible in the previous version on iPad,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You can still do that in V2. Just swipe left on the brush in the Brushes panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You can still do that in V2. Just swipe left on the brush in the Brushes panel.

Oh.. Nice, didn't notice it was just a change in the gesture, I guess it was changed to enable sorting of the brushes... Which is actually nice improvement. Thanks for the quick reply. :)