You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sudden shutdown of Photo when loading an image in V2.0 and V2.0.3 in Windows 10

It happens occasionally for no apparent reason when I try to open an .afphoto file with an RAW channel. The pixellated thumbnail appears, but just when I expect the image load to complete, the program instantly shuts down with no error message. When I restart Photo and go through the same sequence again, the image file loads OK.

In Event Viewer/System/Application log I see no error at the time, however there appears to have been an error ID 1026 when the program was previously exited:

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Affinity.LayersExpandedState.OnDocumentClosed(Affinity.LayersExpandedState*, Kernel.Counted<DocumentController const >*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.LayersDataSource.InteropService_CloseDocumentNotification(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.CloseDocumentNotificationEventArgs)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.CloseDocumentNotificationHandler.Invoke(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.CloseDocumentNotificationEventArgs)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnCloseDocumentNotification(Serif.Interop.Persona.NativeWrapper<Kernel::NonCounted<Kernel::Notification> >)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.HandleNotification(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*, Boolean)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnNotify(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*)
   at <Module>.GetNotificationDispatch.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>.()()(?GetNotificationDispatch@@$$FYA?AV?$function@$$A6AXXZ@std@@V?$Counted@VNotification@Kernel@@@Kernel@@@Z.__l2.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>*)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

APh V2 needs Windows10 May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later. - Which in turn means also a more updated .Net framework runtime version (yours is v4.0.30319), try out with a newer .Net framework v4.8 runtime!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

APh V2 needs Windows10 May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later. - Which in turn means also a more updated .Net framework runtime version (yours is v4.0.30319), try out with a newer .Net framework v4.8 runtime!

Thanks, but my Win version is 22H2, build 19045.2364, so it's odd the .Net framework would be out-of-date. I checked the DLL files in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 (updated 12/22/2022) and they are all v4.8.4084.0. According to online instructions, it's the DLLs that tell you the version.

2 hours ago, daibhidh said:

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319

The above indicated .Net framework version v4.0.30319 is usually an old one, as far as it's contents hasn't been updated. Further "error ID 1026" is usually .Net framework related!

Ereignis-1026.jpg.743a094e94faa24a094aea07cbee1f99.jpg

You can also check your .Net installment with the ...

Other than that are there maybe any by APh v2 generated crash reports available (see therefor)?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The above indicated .Net framework version v4.0.30319 is usually an old one, as far as it's contents hasn't been updated. - Other than that are there maybe any by APh v2 generated crash reports available (see therefor)?

As for .net framework version, see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-quickly-check-net-framework-version-windows-10. That is not the issue.

Thanks for referencing the crash reports location. Yes, there are crash reports, including one corresponding to the App Log error above.

25 minutes ago, daibhidh said:

As for .net framework version, see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-quickly-check-net-framework-version-windows-10. That is not the issue.

Thanks for referencing the crash reports location. Yes, there are crash reports, including one corresponding to the App Log error above.

Looking more closely at the crash reports, I see there are reports for both the error during normal shutdown and for the sudden exit that occurred when restarting the app.

47 minutes ago, daibhidh said:

It tells you the installed version, but that doesn't tell you if the .Net framework runtime operates entirely well at all after the update!

18 minutes ago, daibhidh said:

Looking more closely at the crash reports, I see there are reports for both the error during normal shutdown and for the sudden exit that occurred when restarting the app.

The crash reports should give & list some more infos, aka in what thread and during which interoperating initiated Serif lib calls the crash occured. So it should give some slighly more infos about the cause of all evil here.

The "error during normal shutdown and for the sudden exit that occurred when restarting the app" sounds pretty familiar to me, there were users having the same (aka a similar behavior) before with v1 apps. Do a forum (or even better a Google search after forum contents) after such Affinity app crashes, maybe you can find the one or other of those threads, in order to see if those problems have been solved in some way and how.

4 hours ago, daibhidh said:

when I try to open an .afphoto file with an RAW channel. The pixellated thumbnail appears,

A pixelated thumbnail to me suggests your RAW file may be linked?

If so, what sort of drive is that RAW file stored on (local, USB, Server, Cloud, NAS etc)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.