You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher-Loosing access to files closes them!

This one is really scary.  I keep everything on a network drive and over time working on a project I will go to save and I get an error saying that file access is lost and the document must close.  There is no option to save somewhere else or anything....it just closes!  Fortunately when you try and reopen the document, there is typically a recovered version that has most of your work.  I don't know why publisher is loosing access to these files or why the only option is to just close, but this is not good form.

Edited by rjwerth

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Don't save or open or link to or from a cloud/nas/lan or external drive as this is not supported.
Recommended is to store working files on local disc and backup/transport after done editing.

Yeah...like I have time for that.  I NEVER had trouble with the 1.x versions doing anything like this.

3 hours ago, rjwerth said:

I NEVER had trouble with the 1.x versions doing anything like this.

You were lucky. Lots of people did

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:01 PM, rjwerth said:

I NEVER had trouble with the 1.x versions doing anything like this.

This happened to me a few times with 1.x while I was messing around with it.

This was discussed multiple times on the forums by people with similar issues.

The Affinity software seems to do something with the files which requires them to be present after being created/opened or it cannot safely continue functioning with the document.  I suspect it relies on the file to be there (and stable) in order to pull data from it rather than keeping its own copies of everything that hasn't changed, most likely to optimize working with larger files (so that it can access data as it is needed rather than having to copy an entire large file first before using a subset of the information in it).