You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Expand Stroke function works (displays) incorrectly

irokiee

Sorry for my English. The problem occurs when I apply the Expand Outline command. The lines with the dynamic brush after pulling Expand are smaller (blue) than the original unconverted lines (black). When I export to pdf, there are no differences - so the problem is somewhere in the image display. I am using Nvidia Studio drivers (version 527.56) on GeForce RTX 2060. Unfortunately, switching in Settings>Renderer from "Default (Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060)" to "WARP" and trying different settings (Retina, View Quality...) - there or no difference.... I do not know if the problem affects only me (Affinity version 1 is also the same)? Windows 11 Pro, 22H2, compilation 22621.963

EDIT: attached test file

image.thumb.png.4cd0277aac913ec78cbb456b9ddbd9e9.png

obraz.png.98ef853d2ac6f03d2d8384299a1e40f2.png

test.afdesign

19 minutes ago, irokiee said:

When I export to pdf, there are no differences - so the problem is somewhere in displaying the image.

When you export to PDF the Black curve is first expanded then it is exported. The PDF cannot "apply a pressure graph" to the stroke. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When you export to PDF the Black curve is first expanded then it is exported. The PDF cannot "apply a pressure graph" to the stroke.

That's right, that's why I'm writing about the display problem.... A bit not ok if you design according to what you see on the screen and then it turns out that there are differences.... Do you have the same problem on MAC?

6 minutes ago, irokiee said:

Do you have the same problem on MAC?

Yes.

It is not a "Display Problem" It is a less than accurate expansion of the stroke. The reason the PDF shows no difference is that the Black vector/curve/line is also expanded by Designer before the PDF is made. What I am saying is that the "Wrong" shape is created for the Black (Which is what we actually want to see) stroke.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

So not a display error - since I get something different than I see? A bit incomprehensible... I am developing a logo using decorative outline and I want vectors according to what I see. I send the client a preview in JPG and the lines are thicker, and in pdf the lines are skinnier.... then where is the WYWSIG? should I believe what is displayed to me or what? I have to rasterize the logo and outline again?

test.jpg

Final piece of advice (until or if this ever gets fixed). Work at a very large size, a meter or two instead of a few cm. Then the difference will be proportionally smaller and you can reduce the size once you are done.