You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector crop tool: unexpected effect of handles

Lobivia

CONTEXT: I have placed 1 image of scanned text per page of a Publisher file. I need to crop these images to the size of the block of text of the image (not of Publisher page!). After selection of the crop tool, the first image is cropped as expected. The seubsequent are not necessarily… The bug occurs more or less at random.

BUG DESCRIPTION: 1) The vector crop tool has been selected at a previous image. I begin to crop a new image on the next page. 2) Along the cropping process, I decide to move the image and crop frame simultaneously using the arrows of the keyboard (lower right) while the vector crop tool is still selected. 3) After displacement, I finish cropping the image using another edge handle: the image first jumps suddenly as if it were repositionned via clicking inside, and then the crop zone is progressively modified as the handle is moved. 4) Upon release of the left mouse button, the crop frame jumps suddenly to the new position of the image, BUT the global size and frame are not as expected.
Remarks:

• The sudden jumps do not (seem to) correspond to the displacement made using the keyboard arrows, but it is of the same order of magnitude.
  • The jump of the crop frame may be vertical and/or horizontal or both, independent of the handle used. The jump is random according to me.
  • If I use "command-z" to cancel the faulty crop, and then redo manually the cropping process, the bug does not occur. It appears only when cropping is the action just next to moving with the keyboard arrows…
  • Is there something wrong between the "container" (crop frame) and the contained object (image) when the arrows of the keyboard are used?

ENVIRONMENT:

• Publisher 2 v. 2.0.3
  • OSX 13.0.1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm not sure I entirely understand the issue - a screen recording would be helpful - but are you using the vector crop tool on a raster image? It will work but why not just place the image into a picture frame and resize the picture frame to crop it?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike,

First: Thanks for your suggestion! Since I am a beginner with Photo, I do not know "all the possibilities"!
Yes I work on a raster image. Your method works but, I need to use the text at the very same size as in the original. However upon insertion of the image in the picture frame, it is rescaled/resized to the size of the frame (unless I miss something!). I have thus to resize the image within the frame! My method is easier and fater than ylours, at least to my point of view…

Second: sorry for this very late answer. Previous attempts to answer were unsuccessful because I could not connect…

Third: the strange and unpredictible "sudden jumps" of the handles of the crop tool is stil present!

Have a happy week-end!

19 minutes ago, Lobivia said:

Yes I work on a raster image. Your method works but, I need to use the text at the very same size as in the original. However upon insertion of the image in the picture frame, it is rescaled/resized to the size of the frame (unless I miss something!). I have thus to resize the image within the frame! My method is easier and fater than ylours, at least to my point of view…

Images placed directly on a page (without a picture frame) will not be scaled unless you scale them. Images placed in a picture frame will be scaled to max - you can change this by clicking Properties in the Context Bar.

I think you'll find that it's easier to match the text size with real text in Publisher.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

> I think you'll find that it's easier to match the text size with real text in Publisher.

Maybe, but this is not my problem: I reproduce an old book, like some reproduce old paintaings. In some cases there are even handwritings that must be reproduced as such: Publisher would not be able to do that with "real text" (unless I misunderstand what you mean by "real text").

Anyway, Thanks for your advice.
I have posted another problem that I encountered with "Enable transform origin"… May be you could agin give me some useful  tricks or solutions………

Have a nice week-end!