You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2 Quit Unexpectedly

Bluehen

You are not alone. I have the same experience. Has not occurred during use, only on close. So, more of a "What The"  than any serious annoyance. Seems to be after using the shape builder / perspective tools.

any advice welcome.

iMac 3.6 Ghz  8 core i9  40GB

Ventura 13.0.1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 12/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, Bluehen said:

Have recurring message after closing Designer 2 on Mac: "Affinity Designer 2 Quit Unexpectedly." 

Is this still happening with the 2.03 update?

On 12/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, basil107 said:

You are not alone. I have the same experience. Has not occurred during use, only on close. So, more of a "What The"  than any serious annoyance. Seems to be after using the shape builder / perspective tools.

Does this still happen with the 2.0.3 update?

To be honest have not noticed the problem in a while. Perhaps it was the update. I had just come to live with it. To be sure just completed a serious session with the shape builder and a bit of warping. On close NO CRASH. If it was something that got fixed, Thank You. Alternatively my gremlins found something else to amuse themselves with.

Enjoying the upgrade (2)

Love your work Serif

Cheers

I face a similar bug: starting Designer 2 on my MacBook pro (2018, Ventura 13.1, i5) I see the starting graphics (of version 2.0.3), then get an "unexpected error" message. In the crash report I find a "EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)" notice. ADe2 works well on my macs and on iPad. Also do Publisher and Photo on all machines. Any idea how to fix?

• Staff

Hi @Walda57,

Could you attach the full crash report please?

Just found your crash report in your other post.  Can you try starting Affinity from Applications with the Control key held down and you'll get a message about clearing some settings.  3 options will be selected and if you can also tick 'Reset Most Recent Documents'.  Does Affinity then start?

Apple says:

EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) indicates the process terminated because it received the SIGABRT signal. Typically, this signal is sent because a function in the process called abort(), such as when an app encounters an uncaught Objective-C or C++ language exception. Addressing language exception crashes explains how to handle uncaught language exceptions in more detail.

If there isn’t a Last Exception Backtrace indicating a langauge exception triggered the crash, look at the crashed thread’s backtrace to determine if code in the process called abort().

When an app extension takes too much time to initialize, the operating system sends a SIGABRT to the app extension process. These crashes include an Exception Subtype field with the value LAUNCH_HANG. Because extensions don’t have a main function, any time spent initializing occurs within static constructors and load() methods present in your extension and dependent libraries. Although the exception information is different in a watchdog termination, investigate the LAUNCH_HANG with the same techniques discussed in Addressing watchdog terminations.

• Staff

Hi @Walda57,

Its still crashing in the same place.  Which is the recent documents list.  I would of expected the reset to have resolved it, as it has for others.  Can you just try this, browse to this folder:
/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/

Where YOUR_USERNAME is in the above path, that would be your username on your Mac.  Once in the Affinity Designer 2 folder, delete the file called MRU.dat and then try starting Designer.  If you get another crash, upload the latest crash report to the Dropbox link in my other post.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Walda57 said:

It worked! Many thanks. Will this happen again or is the bug fixed now? I closed it and opened again, it worked. So, by the way, you're doing a great job at Serif with the Affinity suite! Keep on!

It may happen again yes.  But deleting that file should resolve the issue again.  Our Developers suspect when a MacOS update was installed, not everything went to plan and as a knock on its caused this issue for some users.  Thankfully the Dev team have been to able to fix this and it should be resolved in the next update :)