You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images are disappearing on Affinity publisher 2 for windows

Hi Gihan and welcome to the forum.

What format are the images? Are they stored on your internal drive, on an external drive, a network, or cloud service?

Are you placing them in a picture frame or directly on the page?

When you say they disappear, when are they disappearing? I assume when you place them you can see them, but do they disappear when you change pages, when you zoom in, when you move them...?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 5:59 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi Gihan and welcome to the forum.

What format are the images? Are they stored on your internal drive, on an external drive, a network, or cloud service?

Are you placing them in a picture frame or directly on the page?

When you say they disappear, when are they disappearing? I assume when you place them you can see them, but do they disappear when you change pages, when you zoom in, when you move them...?

Cheers

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, with the new version / update I don't seem to have this problem again, many thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hi Mike

I seem to be experiencing a similar problem in a multi-page book, whereby whenever I try to pin an image to part of the text. 

The image has been placed using the place tool, underneath the relevant piece of text it relates to. Then when trying to pin (float to text) the image disappears.

I have looked at videos whereby the image is placed into rectangular picture frame tool, but using this process the image still disappears when trying to pin.

If I create a completely fresh file, and place random text in and try to pin a floating image, whether in a picture frame or not, it works fine.

I am using Affinity Pulisher 2, and the software is on the curent update/version, so I am scratching my head somewhat!

Sorry to target you by joining in on this post, but I've not found anything else in the forums about images disappearing when trying to pin to text.

Fingers crossed :)

On 8/19/2023 at 2:38 PM, spyderbryin said:

The image has been placed using the place tool, underneath the relevant piece of text it relates to. Then when trying to pin (float to text) the image disappears.

Check every of the pinning options in the Pinning Panel. And if currently enabled: deactivate both the View option "Clip To Canvas" + "Preview Mode".

If this doesn't help to fix it, upload a screenshot of your entire screen, showing …

• this entire spread,
• the Pinning Panel,
• the Layers Panel with the related Text Frame layer unfolded,
• and its nested layer selected with the Move Tool.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, spyderbryin said:

I seem to be experiencing a similar problem in a multi-page book, whereby whenever I try to pin an image to part of the text. 

The most likely reason is that the text frame has a solid fill. An image that is stacked above a text frame will be positioned below the frame when pinned to it. You can see the stack order in the Layers panel - expand the text frame layer and you'll see the image is now below it.

Open the Text Frame panel and check General > Fill to see if you've inadvertently set the fill colour to something other than none (shown as a diagonal red line in this screenshot). If you really want a solid fill, I'm afraid you'll need to set the text frame fill to none and draw an identical shape below it to which you can assign a fill.

Screenshot2023-08-19at2_54_42PM.png.f2bea135df31f5c87ce7113208bf9bb4.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike, sorry to be so sluggish in responding after your kind advice. I have eventually sussed how to use the Picture Frame Rectangular tool (filled with an image) and having eventually spotted that the pinning settings were pushing it off the page I am now fractionally more comfortable and can work forwards in trying to include as many relevant images as I can muster!

Very grateful once again for your help. 

Spyderbrying