You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator for ipad features for AD on ipad

So I started my 30 day trial for adobe illustrator on ipad, and I wanted to share my pros about the app. Specifically pros because the features that make it pro I really want to see some of them in affinity designer v2 for ipad. Not all of them. Theres not too many pros. Just some. This is NOT a feature request post. No. Im not trying to make a list of feature requests on one post. I will make a feature request of some of these request individually when the beta forums open up. I just want to talk about these pro features here because theyre related to AD and we should be talking about them.

1.) The Context Menu Widget - Ive talked about it here in the forums. It needs to happen for affinity designer v2 on ipad. Pretty much the context menu widget is a toolbar that appears under each object/stroke when you select the move tool where you have quick action buttons on a bar like move, delete, layer order, opacity, stroke width, duplicate, lock, etc.  Its a bar that has everything you need and will help you in your building vector process. Serif was in the right step in making this move context toolbar. They were right there in making it BUT they badly messed up. They messed up by putting this move context toolbar inside the new quick menu. Its now inside the quick menu and all the quick action buttons are at the top (duplicate, cut, copy, paste style, delete). This move context toolbar is not a debate. It needs to happen because its going to help out users and it follows Fitts Law. We need to follow fitts law.

2) The Round Corner Widget - Every time you have a sharp point in your shape in Illustrator for ipad theres a round corner widget that you can easily pull to round your corner. Its so awesome and easy. In AD, theres specifically a round corner button and you have to press that button just to make your corner. Its too many steps and there shouldn't even be a corner button. Just offer that round corner widget where theres a sharp point to make vector building easier. 

3) Smoothing - The smoothing feature is awesome in adobe illustrator for ipad. Its what the pencil tool in AD needs. You just increase the smoothing value and youre drawing THE smoothest lines. This is great for when you rough sketch something out and you just use your pencil to start vector building your illustration with smooth lines. 

4) Freeform Gradient -  A feature where you can add several color "annotators" to your object that blend color with each other. 

5) The Pathfinder Thumbnail Preview - The previewing thumbnail of the different pathfinders shapes. Its VERY helpful to see the thumbnails of the patherfinder results youre looking for. 

Thats pretty much it. Yup. Its really not that pro. Nothing else stands out about illustrator for ipad. Im not really wowed. Im feeling mehhhh about it. I can honestly say it is NOT worth a subscription. Save your money. AD for ipad is beyond better. Be-yond better. AD for ipad has way more features and is ahead of the game. Illustrator for ipad is half baked. Its still baking. We really need to talk about that context menu widget though. It needs to happen in AD v2 or v3. Its really good. So good that even Apple has integrated it into their new Freeform productivity app. Now adobe, Apple, and vectornator are using this context menu widget.