You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ADv1: Can't alter letterform converted to curves with node tool

Hi, beginner here. I've viewed countless tutorials and can't find this answer. It should be easy and obvious, I know.

I want to alter the shape of letters for a wordmark. I've converted to curves, ungrouped, and am working with the node tool. 

As I try to cut the cross stroke of a small e so that it doesn't touch the left-hand curve, I added nodes at the cut point, but can't delete the segment and then join the two points to close the entire path.

I can move nodes around, convert them, all of that. Just not this.

It would have been faster to just draw the bloody 'e' with bezier pen tool, but I do want to learn what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks tons!

9 Clear Skies node E.afdesign

Welcome to the forums @Wordsnob

In this particular case I would probably do what I show in my attached video.
The inside of the left-hand curve may need to be further edited slightly to continue the curve better.

Note: In my experience there's no 'general case' for this sort of thing; each situation needs its own solution.

Another way would be...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@GarryP and @firstdefence Thank you both so much for responding and going to the effort to record the solutions. I'm about to try them both, but wanted to thank you regardless. I should have asked the forum sooner, I lost so much time on this deadline trying to find the answer myself. Wish I could buy you both a pint or whatever you fancy.

2 hours ago, Wordsnob said:

or whatever you fancy.

Would love to visit Bali with a new Thai bride hahahaha!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, Wordsnob said:

What's wrong with your old Thai bride?
(...I had meant whatever bevvie you fancy, but kudos to you for running with it 😛 )

Got enough on with the lovely wife I have now, she is stood behind me scowling and making me type this, she put a duvet and pillow on the sofa, but I told her she didn't have to sleep downstairs, that's when the fight started lol!