You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher print output complete different to the original - much too bold!

Hi there.

The same file I used or other tests (see posts for PDF output or print preview).
Now I tried to print the sticker collection out of publisher on our Canon C700 over a Fiery G100 RIP.

The sticker collection is based on a pdf with cropmarks made in indesign (kleber prospekt.pdf).

12 pieces I can place on my usual paper size 320x450mm (SRA3).

#1: kleber nutzen d.indd
#2: kleber nutzen (publisher document)

Printed on the same material the output is complete different!

Look at the scans (print ... .jpg) and you will see, that the affinity print is much to bold.

print indesign.jpeg

print affinity.jpeg

kleber prospekt.pdf kleber nutzen d.indd kleber nutzen.afpub

It may be, that you haven't choosen the appropriate CMYK profile in your printing dialogue ("Farbeinstellungen"). Therefore the printer may print an RGB Colour => all 4 CMYK are used to print the colour "black". That's at least the cause for the same symptome I had at the start with AFPub.

Best wishes
Johannes

• Staff

Hi DuckWerk, Can I ask you to check two settings for me?  

Is the black text in the file is it set to 100% black (K)? If its not that I'd recommend potentailly setting all of the text that you want to be black to this colour C0 M0 Y0 K100.

Secondly its looks like the document may use some text that has been converted the text to 'Outlines' or 'Text to Curves', when exporting. Sometimes when printing this gives different results if the document uses a mix text and curves. I'd recommend maybe exporting a new PDF file where you save the file under a different name and set the text to Text to Curves.

image.png

Finally if the above doesn't resolve the issue, it might be worth tweaking your colour profile or PDF settings. I normally elect to use CMYK fogger 39 and the PDF Press ready preset but hopefully the above should resolve the issue without needing to edit these final settings. 

Hi BenV.

I checked the things you asked me:

The text in de PDF (kleber prospekt.pdf) ist set to 100% black.
Text is still text - no curves.

I looked at the printings with the magnifying glas: The printing out of Indesign looks like a printed from outline - strait and clear.
The printing out of publisher seems to be gridded - no strait lines; only dots. Why is publisher doing that?

I enlarged the two scans of the printings. You can see the difference easily.

print affinity large.jpeg

print indesign large.jpeg

• Staff

Hi DruckWerk,

Just to clarify your saying that the print from Publisher looks more pixelated?

Possibly a few more things to check out. 

Can you make sure the PDF placed file is updated (not displaying modified or missing) in the resource manager.

Are the fonts used in the file installed on your machine? 

1 hour ago, druckwerk said:

I looked at the printings with the magnifying glas: The printing out of Indesign looks like a printed from outline - strait and clear.
The printing out of publisher seems to be gridded - no strait lines; only dots. Why is publisher doing that?

I enlarged the two scans of the printings. You can see the difference easily.

Are you saying you are actually printing the PDF directly from both InDesign and Publisher to a fiery Rip? - if so Affinity doesn't support proper printing to PS devices. In my testings, any CMYK data will first be converted to RGB, and vectors rasterised before hitting the Rip and converted back to CMYK ?!?!?!?!? so pretty useless in a pro-print workflow or for colour proofing, which is a huge shame. Your only option for printing accurate CMYK output from Affinity is to save as PDF/X and either dump on your Fiery or open in Acrobat pro and print from there although Acrobat reader can also send accurate CMYK - or just print via Indesign.

I've not ran print tests from V2, but I'm guessing theres no change, as this would be a pretty major feature.  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

@benyv: To build this simple sticker I have to activate all the fonts, so that I can work out in Indesign this simple layout. Its a typeface Rotis sans serif 45 light and 65 bold. Eveything fine in ID. Export as a Highres PDF for printing in CMYK (I checked it in Acrobat) with crop marks. Really nothing special!

Then placed in Indesign for filling up the printfile 320x450mm with 12 pieces and send to the fiery. Perfekt!

The same procedure in Publisher. But the result is really bad. I can't use it this way! Is publisher not able to print on high quality PS-systems?

To make my tests a little bit easier, I started to work with an A4 and only ONE sticker. Only for testing. But the result is as bad as before.

There are things while placing/importing the PDF which makes me worry: look at the screenshots and you will see.
Why do I get a RESOLUTION of my PDF 1356x1356 pixels?
Interpret and transfer show complete different kinds of cropmarks - in transfer-mode they are right!

I support dazmondo's opinion: as long as Publisher changes from cmyk to rgb and is not able to print vector pdf's or eps's on a PS-RIP it will not be an alternative to InDesign.

pdf-transfer %22interpretieren%22.png

pdf-transfer %22transfer%22.png