You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How I use Separated Mode on a Mac

Hi,

The disappearance of Separated Mode from Affinity v2 is a real issue for me. Here is an example of how I usually work.

- One of the open windows contains a PDF documents shown with either Adobe Reader or Apple Preview. This document may contain proofreading highlights and annotations.

- Another one of the open windows contains a page layout document (currently in InDesign, but hopefully soon in Publisher). This is the master document I'm working in. Changes are made while reading the PDF window.

- There are windows where I'm editing images. These can be Photo or Designer documents. Edits are made by following what I read in the PDF and/or InDesign/Publisher document.

- Then, I have a Windows emulator, with some programs I'm describing running in it. Often I grab a screenshot from it.

All of these windows have to be open at the same time in my display. Documents must have all the available space. Only the tools I really need should appear in the display, and all the others should disappear, to leave more room for the documents in edit.

Without Separated Mode, I'll lose all this freedom of movement, and the integration between the different documents in a single workspace. It's as if I had the documents into separate rooms. 

Paolo

having two files open in two different applications is also how I work at lot of the time, the second file being either a word doc or a pdf. the only way around this at the moment is either:

1. stick with V1
  2. first open a blank document, then minimise it, and open the actual document you need to work on. Obviously you loose access to the toolbar and context toolbar - but most of these tools are available in their respective panels.

I'll be sticking with V1 for the time being.

The lack of Separated Mode is a real deal breaker for me...

It was a real issue not having the window edges fit to the document when zooming in Separated Mode with V1 and I made a lot of noise about it... Easy solution, get rid of separated mode!

Glad that I chose the trial instead of paying for the upgrade [downgrade]!