You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page number style automatically switches from "No Style" to "Heading 1"

AFFINITY PUBLISHER 1.9 on Windows 10 PC

I'm setting page numbers in Master Page with No Style para style. I'm sharing the Master Page on all content pages (there are no other master pages anyway).

When I go to individual pages, all page numbers are automatically switched to Heading 1 style! This of course screws up the TOC which picks up Heading 1 para style.

It again switches to Heading 1 even when I set the Master Page page number style to "Body."

Why is this happening and how can I avoid it to generate a clean TOC with no page numbers listed as "topics" ?

Please see the screenshots attached. Thanks.

AFFINITY PUBLISHER Page Numbers switch to Heading 1.png

AFFINITY PUBLISHER Master Page Page Number.png

I've never seen something like that, and I don't know why it might happen. Can you reproduce it in a sample document, and share that .afpub file with us?

(Also, why are you still on 1.9? The current release of V1 is 1.10.5.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, many thanks for the feedback. I'll share a sample .afpub file with that weird behavior.

I'm wondering if this workflow could be the reason why: I create the document (interior pages) first with no page numbers in the master page (a blank master page). And then I add the page number to the master page and apply it to all the already created interior pages. Could that be the reason why the page numbers keep switching to Heading 1 para style? 

I'm still using version 1.9 because the affinity site does not accept my (correct) password. That's another glitch I'm trying to resolve. 

Best regards, Ugur

Walt, I downloaded 2.0 and created a sample document. The weird behavior does not repeat itself. The sample document's TOC acts as expected. Knock on wood.

But I open the same misbehaving document in 2.0 and the weirdness continues: NO STYLE master-page page numbers convert to HEADING 1 style when I apply the master-page to the interior pages, thus ruining the TOC where every page number is listed as a topic title (Heading 1) !

I guess the document is "corrupted," that mysterious thing that happens to some documents while everyone else is sleeping 🙂

I'll try to recreate the document and see what happens in 2.0.

Best regards, Ugur