You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working within Apple Photos

JGL

I have just discovered Affinity which I would rate as 10/10!

Apple Photos, with all my “reservations“ on the programme, remains the most secure way of downloading and storing photos for non-professional users (secure in the sense that there will always be a compatible upgrade path to viewing a life history of photos).  There are of course some aspects of Affinity which can be loaded as Extensions but it wouild be great if within Affinity one could open photos from the Apple Photos library, use all the features of the programme and save back to the Photos library.

In iPhoto one could choose to edit photos in an external programme but no longer with the new Photos application.  Seeing how this has evolved I cannot see Apple modifying the programme to allow this when there are so many other improvements/bug fixes to sort out.  Hence my request that Affinity’s programmers look to see if they can create a greater integration with the Photos library. 

AP has extension that work with Apple Photos. They should be there now if you have installed AP. Not sure that the question of further integration is completely within the hands of the team at Affinity, I rather suspect Apple would have to do some work and I see that as unlikely at this juncture. That said, you can access the Apple Photos library via the media browser in AP.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the Affinity Browser which does as you say allows you to open a photo from the Apple Photos library for editing, however you cannot save it back into the library and that is really what I am asking for.

Presently one can only save the Affinity edited photo, import it into the Photos library and then delete the original.  Unfortunately at the moment the gps location data is lost in this process.

The Affinity extensions in Photos are good as far as they go but of course are very limited in comparison to editing actually in Affinity.

• 2 weeks later...