You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer stuck in loading a document

I cannot open file as Affinity Designer is stuck in Loading phase (in screenshot). I have worked on the file without problems. Then based on suggestion here I have enable Save with History to trace another issue happening in Designer: 

I have tried the following:

• Restore older version of the file from Time Machine.
  • Restart Designer
  • Restart macOS
  • Tried opening in Publisher - also stuck
  • Delete Designer and re-download it from AppStore
  • Send the file over to my wife's MacBook (she COULD open it), she Saved As... the file and she sent it back to me and I still cannot open it

I have macOS Big Sur, my wife has Monterey if that may be causing issues.

I cannot share the document. If you give me upload link I will provide it.

To be honest reliability seems to be a significant issue with Affinity. I really want to love the products as it is a great alternative to Adobe feature-wise. However I have burned a lot of time recovering from these issues.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 17.42.51.png

• 1 year later...

I'm experiencing this error as well for a (downloaded locally) file in iCloud Drive, but without any link I'm aware of, and certainly not a large one. Affinity Designer just sits for (presumably) ever at Loading 1 document.

I got it on 2.2.1 (I believe), and thought updating to 2.3.0 might fix it, but so far same behavior. I did have to force quit, as quitting any other way raises an "At least one file is currently being opened. Please wait for files to load before quitting the application." dialog.

Tried duplicating the file to my home directory, outside of iCloud Drive, but same issue when opening it. About to try a reboot and, when home, opening the same file on iPad to see if any different.

17 minutes ago, unitof said:

I'm experiencing this error as well for a (downloaded locally) file in iCloud Drive, but without any link I'm aware of, and certainly not a large one. Affinity Designer just sits for (presumably) ever at Loading 1 document.

I got it on 2.2.1 (I believe), and thought updating to 2.3.0 might fix it, but so far same behavior. I did have to force quit, as quitting any other way raises an "At least one file is currently being opened. Please wait for files to load before quitting the application." dialog.

Tried duplicating the file to my home directory, outside of iCloud Drive, but same issue when opening it. About to try a reboot and, when home, opening the same file on iPad to see if any different.

Hi, there is an FAQ for this issue.

Can you confirm which version of macOS you are using? If it's Sonoma, when did you upgrade to it?

Check the file in Finder and if it doesn't show as downloaded to your device, try downloading it from Finder before opening it in Affinity.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I did download the file, and it did show as downloaded locally in Finder/iCloud Drive.

And I am on Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81). Originally upgrade to Sonoma about a month ago, after the 14.1 stable release.

However, did did just finally open, after "opening" for around half an hour!

Possible iCloud Drive was doing some odd syncing in the background, it was showing an "uploading" indicator (for an entirely separate other file).