You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I do this so seldom that I can't remember how to do it in Photo (or even if it's possible in Photo.)

In Photoshop, when creating a selection, I can drag to size it.  As long as I do not release the mouse, I can press Space to reposition it, then release Space and continue to size the selection.  As long as I don't release the mouse, I can go back and forth as many times as needed.  If this is possible in Photo, what is the correct modifier key?  I don't want to move what's contained in the selection at this point, I just want to reposition and/or resize the selection area.

In a related question, is it now, or will it ever be, possible to select the starting point of a selection?   For rectangles, starting at one corner as it does is fine but for a circle, it would be easier (at least for me) to position it properly the first time if one could specify the center as the starting point.

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

After creating the selection, change to the Move Tool then click on the Toggle Quick Mask button (or simply press Q) on the main toolbar. You can now transform the selection as if it was a vector object using the bounding box control handles. Press Q again to quit Quick Mask mode.

As far as i know there's no way to create an elliptic/circular selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool starting from the center. A workaround would be to use the Ellipse Tool instead (vector shape) to draw the circle from the center pressing ⌘ (cmd) + ⇧ (shift) while dragging, then convert the shape to curves and finally with the Pen or Node Tool selected convert it to a selection from the context toolbar.

Hi Lille--

I tried it--to move a selection, you put your cursor inside the marching ants selection area. It changes to a 4-direction arrow, at which point you can move your selection "box". I was not able to move and then go back to resizing as you describe with any key combination.

I tried various key combinations (as is done in PS) to try to draw a square from the center, to no avail. However, holding shift while drawing will constrain to a square shape (rather than rectangle).

ETA MEB--very slick that we can go back and forth between quick mask and selection, thanks for pointing it out! I think having some key shortcuts can be more efficient--and I see Q will toggle the mask and V will switch to the selection tool. Woot!

Thanks, Miguel and Asha.  I discovered, after posting, that I can do what I want by creating the selection on a separate pixel layer and using the Move tool to transform/position as desired, then Merge Down to apply it to the layer below.  No faster and no easier, just another method.  

Bopped back into PS.  You can start from center in either an elliptical or rectangular selection by holding Option while dragging.  In Photo, this key combo is assigned to Subtract.  However, Subtract is already an option on the context bar, while there is no way to start a selection from Center.  It would be nice if Start from Center could be added to the Context bar.