You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scripting to automate matching titles with figures

Hello, 

1.) In MS Word you can link Figure titles into the text and table of figures, so when you delete a figure all the other figure numbers update everywhere: the figure title, the figure number in the paragrah and the figure number in the figures table. 

In the same way, when you insert figures, the rest update teh numbering. How can I do this in Affinity Publisher?

2.)Also, on a related note, the book I'm creating will have docens of "examples in design" so the book layout will have an example per page, or spread. I manged to automate the heading of each example with a Numbering Style and adding the text "example". However, do to the nature of the book developement often I have to move spreads or pages to a different location so Example 25 becomes example 10, and example 10 becomes 11 (with the rest of the examples adding one number): please see file attached.

3). the other problem with this is the paragraph that references other example numbers, so when I move the pages I need to re read and find where the refereces to examples are wrong in the text to make them match the Numbered Items.

Points 1, 2 and 3 are a kind of a compbination of the same problem.

Any ideas on how to do the magic?

PS: there is this post in the forum talking about how to automate with merging of documents, but I coun't find anything else related to my problem. 

I'll be happy creating a simple script, but I have no idea where to start.

Josue

test.afpub

7 hours ago, JosueVivas said:

1.) In MS Word you can link Figure titles into the text and table of figures, so when you delete a figure all the other figure numbers update everywhere: the figure title, the figure number in the paragrah and the figure number in the figures table. 

I am fairly certain that this is not doable in Affinity Publisher. The big stumbling block is the updating in Affinity  Publisher. We could come up with a Data Merge Document with Affinity Publisher and a spreadsheet but the updating would have to occur in the Spreadsheet application (reordering rows, inserting rows etc.) and then a new Merged Document would need to be generated in Affinity Publisher. But the ability to add something in the middle and have everything update is not possible in an Affinity  Publisher Document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.