You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.10.5] Floating vertices/nodes 'randomly' appear

Not sure when exactly this happens, but it happened to me a lot since the last or fore-last upgrade of Designer (it was definitely not happening before that, so introduced in one of these two upgrades). I was waiting for posting this in hopes to find out when this happens to give you more info, but couldn't find any logical connection or cause so far after months, so figured you guys should know about this by now, if not already mentioned by somebody else. I've searched the forum for this, but couldn't find a simular issue. 

Pretty sure it was the 1.10.5 version that introduced this, but else it's the version before that (I've used all versions).

Issue: sometimes while drawing with the pen (or editing a path/curve?) 'floating vertices/nodes' appear. So nodes/vertices that aren't connected to any path. They appear on placed where the cursor (AFAIK) never've been and aren't logical to me either.

I made some screenshots when this happened:

image.png.75da143ef352d67c036719caa83e700a.png

image.png.08e45192f41ad50b23be7620b0af4365.png

image.png.cf15505714cad8dbc4f9e9bf55b22b59.png

• Staff

Hi @MmmMaarten,

I've just been trying to replicate this by tracing an image with the Pen Tool and then editing the path and haven't been able to :(   If you save the file when the floating nodes appears and re-open it, are they still present?  If so, could you attach a test file?  

@stokerg I've just had another one a second ago. It looks like it's not the node, but the handle. I'm not sure tho, it could as well be an illusion that it's smaller because it's on a different background.

When it appeared at first it was connected to the path in some unexpected way, but after undo, the connectionline (the handle line?) dissapeared and this circle stayed. This is what's left:

image.png.b87342c09485c6f1629da68e30c120f6.png

And this is a reconstruction how >> I Think <<  it looked right before undoing (not sure where it was connected to the path, but it was in an unexpected spot, not set by hand
image.png.d2abf79420a493ffb646b1c50910e234.png

• Staff

Hi @MmmMaarten,

Does the file get saved in that state?  As in if you save, close and reopen it, select the Node Tool, are these floating 'things' i'll call them things at this point as its not clear what they are, still present?  Also just to confirm you are using a mouse and not a drawing tablet and pen?  I just want to make sure i'm using the right devices to try and replicate the issue.

@stokerg did you see the video? They're already gone when switching to the move tool and back.

This is independent of using a mouse or pen. I've seen this both when drawing with mouse (like today) and with Wacom tablet (most probably the previous stills I've included above).

• Staff
8 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

This is independent of using a mouse or pen. I've seen this both when drawing with mouse (like today) and with Wacom tablet (most probably the previous stills I've included above).

Yup i saw the video, i was just wondering if you could save the file in that state, as i can't currently replicate this and spent a good 20 minutes tracing an image of a model car and editing the path, with no issue.  Do you have the Wacom tablet connected to your PC when this happens?  I don't currently have access to a Wacom tablet but i will tomorrow when back in the office, so will try replicating this again :) 

27 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Do you have the Wacom tablet connected to your PC when this happens?  

Normally I always work with Wacom (intuos), but today I was working with mouse on a Surface Book 2 (not used the touch/pen screen), no wacom connected.

[Edit] I don't believe this has anything to do with using mouse vs wacom pen. And if it would happen once every 20 minutes I would definitely have posted sooner about it. It's a pretty crazy thing I don't see any logic of besides there seems to be some screen re-draw / recache or similar issue.