You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a quick way to use multiple repeating patterns in a single-layer workflow?

I make quick rough concept sketches. The emphasis is on speed using keyboard shortcuts, quickly switching between patterns, and working in a single layer. Here is an extremely simplified example of what this might entail.

168381678_workflow-Copy.gif.5b1637843d0ff46ef174a81f7e370316.gif

It took me approximately 30 seconds to do this in a single Photoshop layer. I'd like to know if this workflow is possible in Affinity Photo? The only way I know how to do this in Affinity Photo takes a lot longer and it requires several layers involving multiple steps per pattern:

1. select areas to be filled

2. create a fill layer

3. navigate through the menu to the file with the desired pattern

4. apply the pattern

5. deselect

6. merge down

7. repeat 1-6 for each pattern

Another problem that adds a lot of unnecessary steps is a glitch that swaps foreground and background colors every time I switch tools. Having to constantly undo the resulting mistakes and fight to use the selected color is frustrating and time consuming. Is there a way to fix this?

• Staff

Hi Veles,

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way for your workflow to work as efficiently in Affinity due to the lack of a fill tool that allows for filling with patterns etc. The closest work around you'd be able to get to this would be following a workflow similar to the one seen in the below video.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/392237161/

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:17 AM, Callum said:

Hi Veles,

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way for your workflow to work as efficiently in Affinity due to the lack of a fill tool that allows for filling with patterns etc. The closest work around you'd be able to get to this would be following a workflow similar to the one seen in the below video.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/392237161/

Thanks
C

Thank you very much for your help.