You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The file could not be opened because permission was denied. Exposure X7 to Affinity Photo

This problem started happening today. I've made no updates to my Mac. I have not installed new fonts in over a year.

Both X7 and Affinity Photo have full disk access permissions in System Preferences.

From Exposure X7 if I right-click on ONE file and choose Edit In > Affinity Photo, I get the message "The file could not be opened because permission was denied."

If I try this with two or more files, it works fine. I'm baffled.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 1.23.01 PM.png

3 hours ago, Sean Chandler said:

This problem started happening today. I've made no updates to my Mac. I have not installed new fonts in over a year.

Well the macOS Monterey info screen tells me something slightly different here, since ...

Wednesday July 20, 2022 - Apple today released macOS Monterey 12.5, the fifth major update to the ‌macOS Monterey‌ operating system that launched in October 2021.

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.5 !

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I mentioned fonts as I've seen other people point to newly installed fonts as a possible cause. I've been using X7 and AF with no issues (until yesterday) after installing Monterey.

I have noticed that if I chose more than one image and right-click Edit In > Affinity Photo - it works fine 

Attached is the screen shot of my Files and Folders settings 

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 9.20.25 AM.png

1 hour ago, Sean Chandler said:

I have noticed that if I chose more than one image and right-click Edit In > Affinity Photo - it works fine 

AFAI understood it, you activate the "Edit in" from inside of Exposure X7 here (?).  So if it doesn't work with just one selected image, but instead with multiple selected images, does the first selected image from a selected set then appear correctly too or is it omitted?

Also do you have some other possible app to choose for "Edit in", just in order to see if it is a general problem with transfering just one file here, in contrast to a bunch/set of files?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

24 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

AFAI understood it, you activate the "Edit in" from inside of Exposure X7 here (?).  So if it doesn't work with just one selected image, but instead with multiple selected images, does the first selected image from a selected set then appear correctly too or is it omitted?

Also do you have some other possible app to choose for "Edit in", just in order to see if it is a general problem with transfering just one file here, in contrast to a bunch/set of files?

The first image appears - I get no error with more than one image 

I tried Open In with two other image editing apps and they worked fine - single and multiple images 

51 minutes ago, Sean Chandler said:

I tried Open In with two other image editing apps and they worked fine - single and multiple images

Then it's probably an APh Monterey related problem and the devs have to look after that!