You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freeze on saving .aphoto file

The last days, whenever I open an existing .aphoto file, edit it, and try to save it, I have a very high chance of AP not responding any more. The save file progress bar is at seemingly 100%, but the dialog doesn't close. In the task manager, I see that AP takes one whole CPU core, but has seemingly no activity regarding HDD or memory. As there also is a windows explorer window open containing the edited file, and that file icon has changed from the previous preview image to the "generic picture" icon, I assume that Windows might have started a request to AP to updated that preview icon again, and maybe that might lead under some timing circumstances to a deadlock. The image seems to be saved completely, but even waiting 20 minutes did not resolve anything, so closing the program by task manager was the last remaining option. The saved file seems to be complete and undamanged and can be opened again afterwards, containing all the changeds done before saving

It must be some strange timing issue anyway, because the last days, I was editing a set of 1300 images, and had absolutely no issue with that at first. Only during the last 200 pictures that started to happen, but then it happened every 2nd or 3rd picture, so it was more than annoying to get through the last files. I tried several things, including a computer restart, but nothing helped here.

I am using AP V 1.10.5.1342 and Windows 10@64 21H2, with a Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB RAM, .and a Radeon RX 590.

• Staff

Hi Antricion,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm sorry to hear Affinity is freezing when you try to save your file. Does this happen if you try to create a new file with just some basic quick shapes and then save it? If its only with existing files please could you tell me if you have File > Save With History enabled and if you are saving to a local drive etc?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I haven't enabled the "Save with History", and I am working on a local hard drive.

Saving an image with just some random drawings went too fast for my feeling. So I have tried it with copying one of the images, and then create new pictures from clipboard, and save them to new files, and till now got no lockup. BUT I tried making random changes to those pictures and saving them again, and didn't get a lockup either. I even made sure to use the folder containing the 1300 files to save them, and have that folder open in the windows explorer. I tried many things, but couldn't get a lockup.

So whatever leads to the problem, must be some weird timing that is not often met, but when it is... I know that doesn't help much, I'm a software developer myself, but even strange issues might get caught every now and again. I will try some more to see if I can get some hints on what is needed for it to appear.