You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D shapes revolve and extrude features

Hello!

Is there a way in AD to achieve the revolve and extrude features for flat to 3D shapes that's included in AI - or any tutorial?

If not, what do you use as replacement to achieve this result? I was thinking about Blender but not sure is it worth to learn for this simple task.

Thanks for the help

Short answer: No; the Affinity applications are 2D-only.

Longer answer: If you can show us what you have and give us details (preferably with a visual example) of what you want to end up with then we might be able to help you come up with something.

I don’t think you will be able to do what you want using only the Affinity software, but a reasonable facsimile might be possible if you had an example we could look at.
If all we have is “from a circle to a sphere”, that isn’t enough detail to give good suggestions as it could be interpreted in many different ways.

By way of example, I’ve attached two – crudely-made – examples of what “from a circle to a sphere” could be interpreted as.

image.png

You can create some 3D-Effects with the Layer Effects. Not really 3D, but some kinds of bevels, like in GaryP's second example. And you can create something similar to an extrusion using the Power Replicate function. Also Gradients can create a sort of 3D-effect, by simulating lighting. But as Gary said, without clearer information it will not be easy to answer your question. Even I don't really know what Illustrator's 3D-function does.