You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select Same function doesn't play well with sampled colors [iPad + Windows]

STGM

Hello, everyone!

I've had enough of trying to find a solution to a problem that started occurring ever since the "select same" function was added. Today I decided to call it quits and give this forum a shot. If anyone knows why this annoying thing is happening, I'd love to know the reason. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

THE PROBLEM

More often than not, the eyedropper tool isn't able to sample and apply the right color to whatever shape is currently selected. The sampled color may look the same to the naked eye but it's actually ever so slightly different from the original fill. A closer inspection at the colors referring to the color panel shows a minor difference in values. Unfortunately that's all it takes to render the "select same [fill/stroke color]" function completely useless. In fact, if you tried to invoke the "select same" function by referencing one of the newly colored objects, chances are that the original one won't be selected because it doesn't share the same color data. This also works the other way around, where you would reference the original object and then the newly colored paths would be completely ignored from the selection.

I have no idea why it is happening. I've tried to troubleshoot this issue both with the dedicated eyedropper tool and the little color picker tool available right in the color panel. Same results happen almost always.

I should also mention that the issue is present on both desktop and iPad versions of Affinity. My devices and apps are all up to date.

EXAMPLE DOCUMENT SETUP

My current project is an icon set that contains 10 icons. The document consists of 10 artboards with 2 layers in each artboard; one for the outline and another layer for flat colors. Again, that's 10 artboards + 2 layers each and a minimal number of shapes. However, anyone can try this with a very basic setup.

I just replicated the scenario on a 1920x1080px document with no artboards inside. I created 5 rectangles and applied different fills to them. Then I recolored all of them using the aforementioned method with the color picker. Finally, I selected a random object and attempted to add all objects that shared the same color to the selection with select same > fill.

Result - the object that the color was sampled from is omitted from the "select same" function, while all others obviously share the same color data between each other and are therefore recognized by "select same > fill".

I look forward to hearing opinions. Thank you!

Edited by STGM

• Staff

Hi @STGM welcome to the forums,

I can confirm we have this issue previously logged with the developers for resolution, this can be caused by the colour picker tool picking the correct RGB values but the HSL/CMYK values to differ from the source, which in turn causes your issue with Select Same > Fill.

I've added your report for consideration.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, NathanC said:

Hi @STGM welcome to the forums,

I can confirm we have this issue previously logged with the developers for resolution, this can be caused by the colour picker tool picking the correct RGB values but the HSL/CMYK values to differ from the source, which in turn causes your issue with Select Same > Fill.

I've added your report for consideration.

Hi Nathan!

That's good to know! I can't wait for the fix. In the mean time, is there a convenient workaround?

I rarely work with global colors when I'm exploring styles early on in my process. I use the copy [value] menu option from the color panel on the iPad and then just paste that color in the attributes of another object. It seems to work. That way everything is recognized by the select same > fill/stroke color function and I can easily grab all similar objects if I decide to re-color them later.

How is everyone else is doing it? Just curious.

Thanks a bunch!

• Staff
1 minute ago, STGM said:

That's good to know! I can't wait for the fix. In the mean time, is there a convenient workaround?

Using the swatches panel and adding the Colours to a document/application palette might work well to ensure the same colour values are always retained when adding to new curves instead of having to copy/paste style every time, hopefully some other users will advise on their workflows. 🙂