You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text colour reverts when tapping on document canvas

I've run into an issue that's been driving me nuts on the iPad. If I create a text layer then try to change the colour of the text it reverts to the previous colour. This seems to happen when you open to colour picker, pick your colour and then tap on the canvas to dismiss it. If you instead tap back on the colour well or text panel it changes as you would expect. I would expect that if I set a colour and then tapped off the colour picker or text window (ie: on the canvas, or another tool, etc.) the colour change would be applied. If I change my mind I can always undo it. 

I've attached a video that tries to illustrate this.

• Staff

Hi @Bryan Rieger,

I've not had much luck replicating this on a 5th Generation Mini, Following your exact workflow when I select the move tool with my text Highlighted > Change Colour in the Text Panel > tap on the canvas the colour applied to my text is retained without an issue every time i've tried.

Which model iPad are you using? Does this occur on new documents?

I'm using an iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 5th generation) running iPadOS 15.5 with an Apple Pencil 2 (same as the day the recording was made), and it oddly doesn't happen with new or existing documents (the old test document used in the example was deleted). The day I created that example it was also happening with other existing documents as well, hence why I recorded the example in the first place.

I have absolutely no idea what was going on or how to reproduce it again.

@NathanC I found it again (by accident), and it's 100% reproducible in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo on the iPad.

The problem isn't with the default colour well, but rather with the colour well found within the text panel (this is visible both in the original video, and the one I attached to this post). If you set the text colour using the colour well from the text panel and then tap on the canvas, the colour will revert to the previous colour. If however, you tap on the text panel before tapping on the canvas it will remain set to the new colour. Setting the colour from the colour pickers found in the colour panel works as expected.

Again, this behaviour with the colour well in the text panel is present in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for the iPad.

• Staff

Hi @Bryan Rieger,

Thanks for coming back to me, I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue when using an apple pencil, however when finger tapping normally back onto the canvas this issue doesn't occur which is why I couldn't replicate this originally. This has been logged with the developers.