You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor crosshair extension

On 5/23/2022 at 5:52 PM, bcposi said:

Is it possible to extend the cursor crosshairs across the whole page (i.e. to the top and side rulers) to make it easier to align new points with existing points?

Isn't Designer already doing that by itself 'intelligently'? Select the object you wish to align to, than select the object you wish to align with it and it automatically shows alignment lines. It also has pretty great configurable snap features. Or am I missing your 'point'? (no pun intented 😉)

I don't disagree that Designer has some great alignment tools but what you've just described is taking 3 steps to do what should be a simple no step procedure. Illustrator introduced these extended crosshairs in around CS3 or CS4 but I first used this in my first Window's drawing tool that predated even Illustrator.

When using the pen tool and drawing a new object, extending the cursor crosshairs would allows the user to align and place a new point at a position that aligns with some other location in the drawing even with snapping turned off. In the Illustrator version, as the crosshairs align up against another point, that other point highlights a bit to show it is aligned. This is especially helpful when building technical drawings (i.e. electrical schematics, etc.).

On 5/25/2022 at 6:43 AM, bcposi said:

I don't disagree that Designer has some great alignment tools but what you've just described is taking 3 steps to do what should be a simple no step procedure. Illustrator introduced these extended crosshairs in around CS3 or CS4 but I first used this in my first Window's drawing tool that predated even Illustrator.

When using the pen tool and drawing a new object, extending the cursor crosshairs would allows the user to align and place a new point at a position that aligns with some other location in the drawing even with snapping turned off. In the Illustrator version, as the crosshairs align up against another point, that other point highlights a bit to show it is aligned. This is especially helpful when building technical drawings (i.e. electrical schematics, etc.).

I used to love those full-screen cursors from programs I used long ago. Now that I'm 72 with the accompanying aging eyes, I wish they would make a reappearance.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub