You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Median Brush Tool not working regardless of hardware acceleration setting

Windows 10. Latest Affinity Photo (1.10.5.1342). GeForce GTX1650 graphics.

With hardware acceleration on, median brush does nothing, and the brush preview just displays as transparency.

With hardware acceleration off, the brush preview no longer shows as transparent, but the brush still does nothing.

Tests on various images from a simple jpeg to 16 bit tiff.

Using median blur filter instead of the brush works fine. Other brushes in the same category (blur, smudge, sharpen) work fine as long as I have acceleration switched off.

• Staff

Hi @andy.farrar,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I've tested this here with both Hardware Acceleration enabled & disabled - I can confirm the transparent brush preview is a known issue and I'll be sure to 'bump' this now.

However the Median Tool itself works for me, in both cases. The tool effect can be subtle, depending on where you're using it, however as can be seen below the noise in this section of the image is blurred slightly be the tool, to reduce the visual impact:

Can you please provide a screen recording showing this issue for me? You may need to zoom further into the image to see the changes the brush is applying.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan - thanks for the response. I have had more of a play with this today, and can confirm the median brush is working. As you say, it's effect is extremely subtle, even with everything set at 100% - way more subtle than the median filter, and almost unnoticeable unless you zoom to pixel level. Is there any way to control this level of subtlety on the brush?  

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me!

15 hours ago, andy.farrar said:

Is there any way to control this level of subtlety on the brush?  

Unfortunately the only control for the Median Brush Tool is the opacity, provided this is set at 100% then I can recommend 'painting' over the same spots multiple times, in order to 'stack' the brush effect.

Another option could be to duplicate your Pixel layer, run the Median Filter on this new layer, then mask out any unwanted areas, to show the unedited layer beneath.

I hope this helps :)