You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to link/bind a brush to a specific tool?

Hi,

in some brushpacks I bought some brushes are bind or linked to certain tools, so that the brush, the eraser or the blend tool are automatically activated when a brush is selected from the brush palette.

How can I achieve this with my custom brushes? For now I couldn't find a way to link between my custom brushes and the tools.

Thanks for advice.

Which Affinity application are you using to create your brushes? That function is part of the brush editing dialog in Affinity Photo, only.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah, thanks Walt! I was using the pixel persona in AD. Now I imported my brush pack into AP, linked them to the certain tools and importet the pack again in AD.

Works fine now. Thanks again.

I have to say that the allocation of some functions to certain apps, although they would be useful in all apps, is not always well done and reasonable. For example, I also miss the ability to create linked layers in AD. The fact that you have to switch to AP first every time is quite annoying. Likewise with the linking of the brushes. This small popup would definitely have had room in the dialog in AD.

1 minute ago, chessboard said:

or example, I also miss the ability to create linked layers in AD. The fact that you have to switch to AP first every time is quite annoying.

My usual suggestion there is to work in Publisher, which would give you Designer's Designer Persona and Photo's Photo Persona, assuming you have all 3 applications.

But that wouldn't help in this case, as the brush linking function is only in the full Photo application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1