You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo freezes and crashes randomly

When I am using the Affinity Photo 1.10.5.1342, the program will sometimes freeze or crash.  I have attached the most recent crash report.

When the program freezes, usually I am able to make the image I am working with larger or smaller, but I am not able to use any of the tools on the toolbar and I am not able to close the program.  I am then forced to go to task manager and close the program.  A couple of times, when I accessed task manager, I didn't even see Affinity Photo on the list, forcing me to shut down my computer completely and restart.  

After the program and sometimes computer was restarted, I would go back into Affinity Photo and the project I was working on wasn't saved. I would start the project over and sometimes I am able to finish it without a problem and other times the program would shut down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am using Windows 11 Home Version 21H2. 

I have a 11th Gen Intel (R0 i7-11370H Processor

I have 32 GB Ram and Windows 64bit

My GPU is a NVidia GeForce RTX 3050Ti

I would appreciate any suggestions.

The hardware acceleration is off.

Thanks,

Tony

bfb86ba2-7ae7-49f5-b1a4-7b1d253e2d73.dmp

have you the leatest GPU driver installed?
I have almost the same configuration, but use the win11 dev/beta.  I have no problems to now.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. I load picture files from the hard disk, and, I think when I am using the selection brush or the 'refine edge' function, the program freezes. This happens randomly, and when editing some files it works perfectly, but the error occurs so often that the program is effectively unusable - I can't re-start the program every 10 minutes. Here is a screen shot:

image.thumb.png.2d6710c57612dead421c2f15988e9733.png

35 minutes ago, Peter T OX2 said:

I have exactly the same problem. I load picture files from the hard disk, and, I think when I am using the selection brush or the 'refine edge' function, the program freezes. This happens randomly, and when editing some files it works perfectly, but the error occurs so often that the program is effectively unusable - I can't re-start the program every 10 minutes. Here is a screen shot:

image.thumb.png.2d6710c57612dead421c2f15988e9733.png

Is hardware acceleration on?

• Staff

Hi @Peter T OX2 welcome to the forums,

33 minutes ago, Peter T OX2 said:

have exactly the same problem. I load picture files from the hard disk, and, I think when I am using the selection brush or the 'refine edge' function, the program freezes. This happens randomly, and when editing some files it works perfectly, but the error occurs so often that the program is effectively unusable - I can't re-start the program every 10 minutes. Here is a screen shot:

Have you tried the user suggestions as stated above?

- Try disabling Hardware Acceleration (the last checkbox) in Edit > Preferences > Performance

Ensure your Graphics card drivers are up to date, the latest updates can be downloaded your card's vendor website, either: