You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crash using CMD Z

skhio

Hello,

Using a MacBook Pro 14 M1 pro on Monterey 12.3

On a blank canvas, if I use the pixel or brush tool in pixel persona and press CMD Z to undo right after the stroke, the application crashes every time.

If there is already one stroke on the canvas, it doesn't crash. But while the stroke disappear, it leaves a dot (square) at the place of the cursor as you can see on the attached picture. To delete those I have to erase everything on the layer.

I bought affinity designer yesterday and I really like the program. But this is the second and third bug I have to report, what is wrong about it ? Is it something about my settings ?

Thanks.

Capture d’écran 2022-03-23 à 00.30.33.png

Capture d’écran 2022-03-23 à 00.32.43.png

Edited by skhio
Adding picture

• Staff

Hi skhio,

Welcome to the forums :)

Does this occur if you use a different brush to draw the stroke at all? Please could you also tell me if you have Metal Compute enabled in the apps preferences under the performance tab?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thank you 🙂

I think I can be more specific as I tried your directions, and I spotted some things.

The crash occurs with or without Metal Compute enabled.

The crash occurs while in Pixel Persona with any brush selection, with the pixel tool and the eraser tool ...

I tried with other tools it seems ok.

In Designer Persona, when you do a brush stroke, there is a one second delay after you release the stroke, you can't CMD Z while it registers. So no problem there as the app doesn't let me be too quick on CMD Z or undo.

In the Pixel Persona, there is no delay and if I do CMD Z before the first stroke on the canvas "registers" it crashes.

The "squares" that are left on the canvas when I CMD Z on the strokes after the first one don't appear if I let those strokes register for a second.

Hope I am clear enough.

Thank you !

Edited by skhio

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Skhio,

I apologise for my delayed response occasionally a post slips through the net. I haven't had any luck replicating this issue unfortunately, out of interest are you using a graphics tablet or a standard mouse? Back within the apps preferences under performance what is the display dropdown set to?

Thanks
C

Hi Callum,

No problem it happens.

I am using the trackpad of my MacBook Pro, no mouse or tablet. The display dropdown menu is set to OpenGL, I tried the others, it is the same. I tried the other options too, disabling hardware acceleration, retina rendering to fastest or slowest, I am out of luck. It keeps crashing. I also tried the clear cache thing I found on other topics.

thanks.

Hi Callum,

I found why Affinity Designer keeps crashing. Let me explain :

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Accessibility. 
  2. Select Pointer Control in the sidebar. (In earlier versions of macOS, select Mouse & Trackpad.)
  3. Click the Trackpad Options button.
  4. Select ”Enable dragging,” then choose ”three finger drag” from the menu.
  5. Click OK.

To draw a stroke in pixel persona, you have to tap with three fingers without clicking, then draw the line with three fingers also, and if you do CMD Z right after that, it will crash if it is the first stroke. On the second stroke and later, it leaves a weird shape on screen that looks like a square.

Other bugs I have noticed using this option too. In Designer Persona, if you draw a stroke, then another one and you do CMD Z, it won't delete the last stroke but the one before it.

There is something to do with the three finger drag that doesn't work with Affinity.

I hope it will help solving this problem.

Peace ;')

• Staff
On 4/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, skhio said:

Hi Callum,

I found why Affinity Designer keeps crashing. Let me explain :

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Accessibility. 
  2. Select Pointer Control in the sidebar. (In earlier versions of macOS, select Mouse & Trackpad.)
  3. Click the Trackpad Options button.
  4. Select ”Enable dragging,” then choose ”three finger drag” from the menu.
  5. Click OK.

To draw a stroke in pixel persona, you have to tap with three fingers without clicking, then draw the line with three fingers also, and if you do CMD Z right after that, it will crash if it is the first stroke. On the second stroke and later, it leaves a weird shape on screen that looks like a square.

Other bugs I have noticed using this option too. In Designer Persona, if you draw a stroke, then another one and you do CMD Z, it won't delete the last stroke but the one before it.

There is something to do with the three finger drag that doesn't work with Affinity.

I hope it will help solving this problem.

Peace ;')

Thank you for this extra info I'll try replicating this tomorrow when I have access to a trackpad then I should be able to get this logged with our developers to be fixed in a future update. 

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "CMD + Z while three finger dragging on trackpad crashes the app" (REF: AFD-5806) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.0 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us