You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i1studio icc profile prints too dark... gamut issue?

Hi  

If I use an icc profile 

Hi there

My issue is that I can print fine using the manufacturers icc profile for my paper and printer combination.

If I make an icc profile for that paper using i1studio there is a definite improvement visible on screen via soft-proofing but the  print is way too dark.

My thinking is that that the gamut created by i1studio is 2.2 while the gamut of the image in affinity seems to be 1.

Could this be right and any ideas on how to match the two?

Thanks in advance for any help... 

1 hour ago, GrayNZ said:

If I make an icc profile for that paper using i1studio there is a definite improvement visible on screen via soft-proofing but the  print is way too dark.

As I understand it, the Soft Proof adjustment layer needs to be turned off before printing. From the help page:

This adjustment allows you to preview different output options for your photo or design. It can also be used creatively for tonal effects. As it behaves like a standard adjustment layer, it must be hidden or removed before exporting or sending to print, otherwise its effect will be included in the output.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

As I understand it, the Soft Proof adjustment layer needs to be turned off before printing. From the help page:

Hi thanks for the reply.. yes the softproof layer was turned off... 

I only mentioned soft proofing to point out that the profile I made looked much better than the manufacturers one when overlaid the image I want to print.

13 minutes ago, BofG said:

What colour format is the profile? CMYK or RGB?

Hi thanks for answering

rgb

just trying to get the best out of an old Epson 9600 printing photos. Monitor is a dell 2413 calibrated with an i1 display

Custom icc print profile made with an i1studio

16 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Is your monitor too bright? It may not match your viewing light. And your white point?

think my monitors brightness is fine... prints look great when printed with the icc profile from Canson for my printer and paper combination. Not sure what you mean about the white point ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blzgs9lmml9phj7/Introduction_to_Monitor_Calibration.pdf?dl=0