You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to reduce the Opacity in Frequency Seperation ?

So I have used a Frequency Seperation filter on a Photo to remove and even out Skin irregularities. But I think i have gone a little too overboard with it. Just like with any other adjustments and filters how can you reduce the opacity of Frequency Seperation ? To make the effect look a little natural, meaning less effective ? I do not see that option. Since there are two layers created High Frequency and Low Frequency.

Please help !

Hi, 

a bit more context would help to understand your question.

frequency separation alone does not smooth. You probably used additional steps like patch tool, inpainting etc. 

Reducing layer opacity of the HF / LF layer will not undo any of your other edits.

If you have followed a non-destructive approach and applied all edits to additional separated pixel-layers, you could reduce the opacity of that layers to mute the effect.

Another option (if you preserved an unedited copy of the source layer):

you could group all edited layers, put a copy of original layer below, and lower the opacity of the group.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

36 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi, 

frequency separation alone does not smooth. You probably used additional steps like patch tool, inpainting etc. 

Reducing layer opacity of the HF / LF layer will not undo any of your other edits.

If you have followed a non-destructive approach and applied all edits to additional separated pixel-layers, you could reduce the opacity of that layers to mute the effect.

you could group all edited layers, put a copy of original layer below, and lower the opacity of the group.

Yes I used Healing Tool after I used  Frequency Seperation.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi, 

I feel the second option that you have presented looks more plausible. Now the thing is, when I was working on all the other edits on the Photo like HSL, Brightness and Contrast, Curves, Reducing Shine from the face etc...etc..After I was done (I had kept the Skin Retouching Part for the end) So after I was done I was trying to merge ell visible layer into one single layer but when I was doing that the Single layer which was getting formed, it was not keeping the same Opacity Levels as I had kept for all the other Adjustments, So I had to save a copy of the Photo with all these other adjustments and then I uploaded that copy of photo with all the adjustments as a new project and then worked separately as a new project on that copy only for skin retouching. Now in this scenario how do I make use of your Second suggestion?

Yes, I do have the .afphoto file of the earlier adjustment that I did on the Photo.

Just give it a try. You need the image in the state just before you started with frequency separation (not the completely unedited one). 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Just give it a try. You need the image in the state just before you started with frequency separation (not the completely unedited one). 

Ok so you are saying group all the edited adjustment into one layer (Not Merge Visible) and then place below the Frequency Seperation Layers ? Right ?

But now I have carried out the Frequency Seperation on an entirely seperate Individual copy ? How can I now do the above ?

It would help if you upload a screenshot of the layer stack. 
Normally it should look like

• Some adjustments on top (multiple)
  • high frequency
  • some adjustments in the middle (multiple)
  • low frequency
  • copy of edited layer before frequency separation 

then add group:

• group of 
    • high frequency
    • low frequency

And adjust opacity of group 

12 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

• high frequency
  • low frequency

then add group:

• group of 
    • high frequency
    • low frequency

Here are the Screenshots of the Layer Stack. The First Two are of one Project and the other is of only the Screen Retouching Project I had to do, because when I was doing Merge all Layer in the First Project with Multiple Adjustments, the Final Layer which was getting created would overwrite the Opacity Levels I had kept for different adjustments and hence my Final Image was coming very weird.

So I decided to download an image from the First Project as a Separate Picture and work on it only for Skin Retouching using Frequency Separation using the Healing Tool.

So you see these are two different projects now one with the Frequency Separation and one with all the other adjustments.

So how can I use some Layer from this project and some from other ? As you say?

Layer Stack-1.png

Layer Stack-2.png

Layer Stack-3.png

17 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

• high frequency
  • low frequency

then add group:

• group of 
    • high frequency
    • low frequency

Hi @NotMyFault waiting for your response. Please guide further.

Sorry, this gets more complicated with every reply, making it next to impossible to give a good advise. I have to step out for good.

Normally i would ask you to upload the files, as this would allow to dig deeper. But the effort trying to understand what the issue is is getting above my personal time budget I‘m willing to dedicate to this topic. Maybe other forum users try to step in. 

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Sorry, this gets more complicated with every reply, making it next to impossible to give a good advise. I have to step out for good.

Normally i would ask you to upload the files, as this would allow to dig deeper. But the effort trying to understand what the issue is is getting above my personal time budget I‘m willing to dedicate to this topic. Maybe other forum users try to step in. 

Good luck.

:56_anguished: :56_anguished::56_anguished: