You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Broken orange lines next to layers on master

• Staff

Hi @LaraJ :)

I can see you've been discussing this with Walt separately here, I can confirm the following:

When you have a Master Page (for ex Master A) applied to a single page, and then edit detached on the page directly (not editing the master), you will see the orange dotted line to the side of the Master Page object in the layers panel to indicate it differs from the Master Page object.

In this scenario, you will also see the orange dotted line in the Layers panel when directly editing the Master Page as the app is indicating that the Master Page object does not exist in the document anywhere, as it does on this Master Page -

image.png

However if you then add new pages to the document, with the Master A applied, you will see the line in the layers panel when editing the master has returned to solid, as the object in Master A now appears 'as is' within the pages of the document -

image.png

Essentially, if you're seeing a dotted line in the Layers Panel when editing the Master Page directly, this indicates that the object on the master page does not exist within the document exactly as seen on the Master Page.

I hope this clears things up :)

Thanks @Dan C This clears things up. However, I've seen this behaviour (orange dotted line on master page) even on masters that I haven't specifically edited on any single page it was applied to. Is it possible that Publisher interpreted a simple click on an element belonging to a master that has been applied on a page as a change? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I've run into this issue several times now while working with a document that is hundreds of pages long and reapplying masters to hundreds of pages got old really quick 😔

• Staff
Just now, LaraJ said:

However, I've seen this behaviour (orange dotted line on master page) even on masters that I haven't specifically edited on any single page it was applied to.

Are you seeing this line when editing the Master Page itself, or when editing a regular spread?

1 minute ago, LaraJ said:

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I've run into this issue several times now while working with a document that is hundreds of pages long and reapplying masters to hundreds of pages got old really quick

You shouldn't need to reapply the masters even if you are seeing the orange dotted line, provided all of your master content is as expected. In regards to reapplying to multiple masters - you can select all (or as many pages as you need) in the Pages Studio, then right-click and choose Apply Masters.